These are from this JCCSF Interfaith family photo shoot--our first "family photos!"
Avi's Safta just gave me some sage advice. I was feeling guilty because I am lounging around in my pjs (it's one of those misty gray SF mornings--oh, whoops now it's officially afternoon), watching the rain, re-heating this morning's coffee (Avi woke up at 5:15), just generally observing the disarray around here instead of taking it on.
She said, "You are already doing your most important job very well. That's what matters," or something like that and I felt instantly assuaged of guilt. Thank you, Tami!
Then I was washing the dishes while trying to navigate online banking customer service systems that don't have actual people available to help. I channeled my dad and silently agreed with his grumbles about this kind of thing. It's annoying. I stubbornly pressed zero several times. Then I decided that Avi and I will have an afternoon of urban errands. We'll go to the bank via BART, you know, actually show up in person to do some banking. The closest one is in the Mission, so maybe we'll also go shopping.
Tomorrow we are going to drive down to Monterey to visit Saba and Safta. We are still not in the clear to see baby Austin, which is a bummer, but I don't want to mess around with his little immune system. I even stayed home from work yesterday because Avi barfed in the morning, but I can't be sure it was anything serious. He may have just choked on the banana he was eating and wandering around with. I needed the extra day at home, too. It was great. I finished book 3 of the Twilight series while Avi napped (for over 3 hours! this sickness has made him extra napp-y) and I sent M, 'Nita and GG to the park until he woke up. Avi now calls M "Na-na," short for nanny, which was her suggestion to him. One night this week he fussed a bit after she left and said "Na-na" a few forlorn times. That was a little hard, even though I am glad he is so attached to her.
I guess I am just rambling here, but there's a lot going on right now. Not to mention the sweeping media coverage of swine flu, recession and plenty of local bad news. I keep holding onto all the good things we have. Our health, our families, our friends, a pretty sweet life, freedom, and one amazing little boy. New words this week include shoes and baby. Plus, M has heard him say si in response to a question. Hmm. How come I mostly hear no? Leeor and I can't help but giggle when he says no. He says it very calmly, but emphatically. Is he really going to be 15 months old next Friday??
Maybe I am wiped out because I am feeling a lot of what Avi's going through in his development right now. It's an exciting age and sometimes it's like we can see the neurons firing away in his head. Just the other night he carefully turned the pages of a book--not a board book with sturdy pages, but a picture book with words and fragile, rip-able pages. I watched in wonder. He is changing all the time. He continues to point out the letter A when he sees it around, written on the sidewalk in chalk by our 12 year old neighbor girl. Her parents look at Avi with some wistfulness. They both say they remember this age very well. Wow. I can only imagine how quickly 12 years will go by. Where will we be when Avi is 12? For now I am content to be here, in this little apartment with the insane view of the Bay Bridge and downtown San Francisco, endlessly fascinated by our son.
2 comments:
If only I knew you hadn't left for Monterrey! Yesterday was interminable. All that rain!
Your pics are adorable.
LOVE your family photos all bursting with adoration. Such a darling little threesome you all are.
Post a Comment