
Leeor's first meeting was cancelled so he decided he and Avi would come visit me at work. Apparently, Avi was saying "Mama?" all morning. So they pulled up to the craziness of the UCSF Medical Center during prime time. Daddy's good intentions were turning sour fast, as I couldn't find them and had left my phone on my desk.
I had about 5 minutes until I had to be up on the 6th floor for morning rounds. By the looks of things, Avi was not going to be pleased with a quick besito. So . . . I took him out of the car and he promptly high-tailed it into the UC bookstore. I was the anxious lady behind him, trying to be professional and an understanding mom at the same time. I chatted him back to the car, but he wailed and arched his back when I tried to put him in the carseat. I glared at Leeor and he glared right back. I decided I would be late to rounds.
Avi and I made our way to the food court. He spied the bagels and the rest, as they say, is history. Oh yeah, Leeor and I traded besitos, too. No harm done. I was glad I got to see them, even though I felt a little guilty as I slinked into rounds. I imagined the doctors thinking, oh, here comes the social worker, late, of course, when the reality is that even if anyone noticed, they probably didn't care, much less remember. There were like, ten people gathered around this patient's room. I, however, will always remember the sweetness of Avi's face as I buckled him into his carseat, happily munching a sesame bagel.
No comments:
Post a Comment