I wish it were prophetic. Today, we drove down to Monterey to visit Saba and Safta. We all had grand plans. The aquarium! The Barnyard! Shopping! Dining out! Maybe even a movie for Leeor and me!
The day turned out so much better than any of that. We just hung out, ate matzoh ball and veggie soup, went to the International Festival at the Naval Postgraduate School (where both Saba and Safta work), where Avi soaked up plenty of world culture and Leeor got his travel bug going, and then saw it. The home where I'd like to live someday with my boys and any other addtions to our little family.
How can I describe it? It's easier to say what it's not. It's not remodeled, not huge, not fancy, not a total dump, either, just not manicured. Which brings me to what it is: nestled at the end of a cul-de-sac surrounded by trees, shrubs, grass, birds, bugs and lovely fresh air. It's quiet. It has wood floors. Three bedrooms and two bathrooms. Tons of potential for slow, easy-going remodeling while we rent it out and continue our city lives for awhile. Especially because it's around the corner from Saba and Safta and they can help out with all of it. The house is a short walk from an incredible nature area, Jack's Peak, which houses one of the remaining pine forests of Monterey and some amazing hiking. It's also a 5 minute drive to the coast. I haven't felt this kind of wanting, this kind of futurama, in awhile.
Meanwhile, we have jobs and busy lives here in San Francisco. I love it. I didn't feel sad to pull into the city tonight as I sometimes have after a day in Monterey/Carmel. Leeor and I slinked into our place with Avi and neatly transferred him to bed. It isn't usually that easy. We are in a good place right now, our little family, and I know we'll be here for awhile. Tomorrow we are having dear friends over for brunch and I am really looking forward to it. Work on Monday, not so much, but I still have some time to enjoy the weekend. That's what I love about these Saturday trips--they make the weekend last longer somehow.
For now I will put the Futurama to bed and go clean our floors. And stare out the window at this beautiful, twinkling city, grateful for our friends and family.
2 comments:
ah, futurama. we play that one so well together. love that post.
I want to live in that house too! It sounds amazing. I know the futurama game well....fun to play and, really, we don't get what we want unless we play. xo
Post a Comment