I think I am going to be writing about the city a lot because we are thinking about leaving.
It's hard to stay present, much less dip into the past. Mother's Day was lovely. Much better than last year, when Leeor had to travel for work and teeny tiny baby Avi and I took him to the airport before we crashed the McFarlands' brunch. I remember Avi had a teething meltdown and sweet Mollie held him while I wolfed down chorizo and eggs. It was delicious and stressful.I was a new mom with a husband who worked crazy law-firm hours and was out of town a lot.
This year, I got to sleep in. Bliss. I couldn't actually sleep past 7:45, but I remained in bed 'til 9 and gabbed on the phone with my mom. I love her so much. She is an inspiration to me, especially with her selflessness when it comes to her children.
I heard Leeor chatting to Avi about how they were letting Mommy sleep because it was Mother's Day. He went on and on and it seemed like Avi was really taking it in. I actually called from my cell phone so I wouldn't have to get out of bed and go upstairs to tell them I was awake. They brought me pastry and a latte from my favorite neighborhood bakery, but best of all was the look on Avi's face when he realized I was there. He lit up and exclaimed, "Mama!" with such love. He dove into bed with me and snuggled happily. I scarfed down my sticky bun and goofed around with him until I eventually roused myself out of bed and showered.
We were off to Monterey to officially check out the house. Avi explored every inch of it while I trailed behind him and Leeor, Saba and Safta talked with the realtor. My dad is unofficially representing us from Texas. I felt a little out of the talk because I was chasing Avi around. He went into the bedroom closets, perused the toilets, sat in the window seat, climbed into the shower stall in the master bedroom and circled through the garage. It was a great way for me to check the place out, too. I just felt my way through it. It felt good. Someday, I would love to have my very talented cousin, Susan, who is a designer in Arizona, come help me do it up. Someday. First, we have to figure out if we are buying it.
So that was Mother's Day. Avi went to the park with Saba and Safta while Leeor and I went to the mall and I imagined us living in Monterey. I am not ready yet. The pace is so different. As much as I love to get out of the city, I also love being here. There is a baseball game tonight and I only know this because I can see the lights of the ballpark, which are next to the lights of the Bay Bridge. This view has been amazing me all over again when I feel I've been taking it for granted.
Today was another Monday and I snapped at my guys this morning because I was trying to make my lunch and Avi just wanted me to hold him. It was frustrating for all of us to get back into the routine after such a nice weekend. Leeor and I got to go out with the McFarlands Saturday night and have our first grownup date with them since the Duck was born two years ago. It was fun and indulgent. I feel like I really live with gusto since I became a mother, and that's one of my favorite parts about this new self. Also, I love Avi desperately. I have never known such love. Leeor and I share this and he honors me all the time in my role. We also honor our mothers and grandmothers all. Here's to the love.
1 comment:
here's to the love. :)
Post a Comment