Saturday, May 30, 2009

Date night

Tonight I went out on a limb, went over to the Fillmore, in our old hood, solita, to see if I could hear Jenny Lewis sing. Did I ever.

She was so amazing and as I listened to her CD on the way home I felt slightly disappointed. Maybe that's why Leeor never wants to listen to the artist we've just seen at a concert on the way home. Anyway, I loved her so much; I cried; I enjoyed myself immensely. What a great show. I am so glad I went.

I am going through one of these "things" I go through once a quarter. My hormones are wacked out as I just got my first period in 2 year. Sorry to overshare, but it's relevant. I have been feeling like a 13 year old this week.


It's almost summer solstice. Tonight was foggy and cold so I wore my mom's old leather jacket and a scarf from Guatemala that my girl Gillie bought for me some years ago. I had a date with myself and I needed it. Getting dressed quickly after putting Avi to bed, I felt so thoroughly like me I had to laugh.


Standing a few feet from the stage, watching Jenny Lewis strut her bad self around and sing her heart out, I felt incredibly fulfilled. I almost forgot I was a mom. Except that Avi is a part of me much like the way he was when I carried him in my womb. Though he is changing all the time, growning and developing like mad (this morning he said mas agua, which I believe counts as a sentence and feels like a pretty big deal, but I'm trying to stay cool about it), I realize that a big part of me will always belong exclusively to him.


The last two posts have been all about me, and while I feel self-conscious about it, I also think it's okay. Meanwhile, Avi has been talking up a storm and Leeor and I are eating him up. More details, and photos, to come . . .

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

awesome! good for you. I still haven't had a date night with myself and lately I've been thinking I'll go see a movie by myself after putting Sadie down. But I haven't done it yet. This post inspires me!
Love the image of you in your mom's leather jacket (so cool) and the Guatemalan scarf from Gillian (of course!). :)
Janine
p.s. 2 years?! I had mine back at 6 weeks! I couldn't believe it.