
We shared fries at Giordano Bros, a place just like Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh. So good . . .
Leeor took Avi on an urban adventure while I went to yoga Saturday morning.
Doesn't he look like he's doing chatarunga dandasana? The yogi push-up?


Avi woke up with a fever yesterday morning but we were in a little bit of denial about it. He was pretty much himself, just grumpier. But what 16 month old doesn't get a little grumpy? Or what 33 year old? We are pretty tolerant of big feelings around here. But yesterday afternoon I knew something was up with our bear.
We took him to North Beach for some family time in the late afternoon. He was enthusiastic but also tired, heavier than usual in my arms and hugging me just a little tighter. I didn't mind. After a full week of him night-waking, I realized that it just doesn't matter to me whether he sleeps well or little at all. This time in our lives is so fleeting that I don't want to waste any of it. So I am tired, but loving every minute with Avi.
It was a fun Sunday afternoon though it became increasingly clear that Avi was not himself. We couldn't even get a good temperature because it was such a struggle to hold the thermometer under his arm. Like a needed a number; his little body was radiating heat like a werewolf from the Twilight series I've been reading. I felt like one of the vampires because in contrast, my skin felt so chilled against his. I kept running my cool hands over his sweet forehead.
He woke up every three hours last night. What a blast from the past. I stayed home with him today and took him to see our lovely pediatrician, whose exam revealed an angry red throat. Poor baby.
We had a lot of cuddle time on the couch today. Avi leaned into me while we zoned out to PBS, a lot of it, but oh well. I really love the new Electric Company. Anyway, we also read Bob the Builder, Bob's Bedtime, over and over. Avi says something that sounds like "knee" when he wants to read the book again. It's adorable.
So even though I just talked about how going back to work was a good thing for me, and hopefully for our family of 3, today I realized that my most important job is being a good mother. It was the right decision when I stayed home and cared for Avi today. I did answer a couple of pages and made a few calls. I felt like I was disappointing people at work. But I would do it all over again. Avi needed me today. I'm glad I could be here.
3 comments:
Oooh, poor baby. We got your call late on Sunday, but it sounds like you guys were better off at home. Maybe this weekend? Take care of your sweet boy!
hey baby,
so glad you could take the day to be with your guy. it's so important. the most important!
counting down til july...
You know what was cool? I never feel like I get validation for my "mommy choices" from anyone at work besides my comrades in social work, but today one of the doctors (who recently adopted a child, so maybe that's why he can relate) totally backed up the belief that raising our children is more important than taking care of other children.
Post a Comment