Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Catching up



These pictures are only a week or two old but they already feel outdated.  The only thing that hasn't changed is how much he enjoys hanging out in just a diaper.


This week, I feel like Avi is less interested in being indoors.  He wakes up asking, "Nurse?" and afterward points upstairs, "Up?" or "Up!" sometimes adding, "Cereal?" but usually saying insistently, "Outside!" or "Go!"  Last Thursday morning, after being separated from his beloved share-care buddy, whom he calls "GG," he immediately went to the stairs and began a mantra of "Shoes. GG. Go," that he repeated at least 15 times.  At 6:30 AM.


Thankfully, Leeor took him outside this morning while I hastily got ready to go to work.  Avinreally likes to "play" in our car.  He says "beep-beep" when this is his preference.  It is hilarious.  He sits in the driver's seat, his feet dangling, and puts his hands on the wheel.  He taps the horn noiselessly but cries, "beep-beep!" 


Today I was away from home from 8 AM until 8:30 PM.  Avi was asleep when I arrived home, and Leeor had called me while I was on my way to warn me that he was, in fact, not in his pjs, and there had been no bath.  I totally did not care.  Really, have I been that uptight about our routine? 


Avi has been asking to nurse a lot.  Is it partly because we get such a kick out of the way he says "nurse" that he wants that attention repeatedly?  And wants to nurse? Oh, I could go on and on.  My day was full.  I miss Avi, but am enjoying our quiet home as Leeor was kind enough to don headphones for his TV watching.  


One last thing to report in the chronicles of Avi in the city: we took him to the Haight Street Festival on Sunday.  It was a warm, sunny, beautiful day.  We parked way up the hill from Haight Street and negotiated the sidewalk with Avi, finally settling him into the hip carry in the ergo.  Slathered him with sunscreen.  Stopped at a coffee shop to use the ATM and bathroom and got Avi a little snack.  We overheard an adorable mother and child arguing in Hebrew.  It sounded like this, "Ken.  Lo.  Ken.  Lo.  Ken!  Lo!" and so on until the mother scooped the little girl into her arms.  Ken means yes.  Guess what lo means?  Of course Avi flirted outrageously.


I was reminded of our vacation in New York last December, as well as the Inaugeration, as they were the last time I carried Avi close to me in the ergo as the 3 of us wound our way through a crowd.  It felt good.  We stayed together and enjoyed the scene.  It feels so good to enjoy this time together, while also reflecting on our past experiences.  

No comments: