Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sleepy time

Twice this week I fell asleep while nursing Avi down . . . tonight I awoke all groggy and famished, hastily put the laundry into the dryer, hustled Simon outside and scrambled into some pjs. We had breakfast for dinner. I love doing that. And I love this picture of Avi falling asleep in Leeor's arms. We have this joke about "sleepy time" that came from a funny night on our honeymoon in Southern Africa (we entered a drinking contest at this campsite in Namibia and 19 shots later, Leeor abruptly decided it was "sleepy time" in the middle of our group dinner--it was pretty funny), so sleepy time has special meaning for us.


Today was long and hard and I completely overidentified with a family I saw--all I could think about was Avi. I cried both times when I had to pump. I hope this gets easier. At least my experiences at work remind me of how greatful we are to be in good health, to have the struggles that we have. It could be a lot worse. I mean, look at this kid! M told me that she encountered a 5 month old at the park today, a little one her aunt cares for, and he was way smaller than Avi. And for all of his funny stuff about the bottle, he took 3 ounces of breastmilk today in addition to his banana and cereal. He's such a healthy hulk! When I got home, he was in his jumper, and the smile he got on his face made M start laughing. I felt like I'd won some incredible prize to see him looking at me like that. I couldn't pick him up fast enough. And I have 3 glorious days ahead of me during which I have to take care of no other child than my own. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You're doing such a fantastic job, and it's all worth it. Avi is such a beautiful kid. Things will get easier! I can barely get myself through the day so I'm impressed you are able to juggle so much in your life. You give me hope that it doesn't have to be a choice between family and a career. Can't wait to see you guys in November!
xoxo