Friday, July 11, 2008

Like a Rolling Stone




Avi is so amazing; changing like crazy every day. Today, as we were getting ready to nurse, he reached out and grabbed my breast and neatly guided it to his mouth. Wow. He's also getting really into his toys, and he becomes pretty angry if he can't get them to do just what he wants. And I'm pretty sure he was trying to roar like the lion on his saucer. He continues to demonstrate good taste in music, wrinkling his brow at the tinny "classics" that come out of the saucer (eg., the lion roars, then an impassive voice says "lion" and repeats in Spanish before busting out with a pretty terrible version of Beethoven's 5th).




Leeor missed his flight back last night so we were once again mommy & me. M pulled an 11-hour day yesterday; and I had a "rich lady" day. I went to yoga in the morning and to the salon in the afternoon (I am officially a brunette again). Yoga was just what I needed. Avi and M did beautifully together. M proudly showed me video phone footage of Avi drinking my milk from a bottle. She is really falling in love with him, and she is so committed to taking good care of him that I am feeling much better about things. My boss called to check in about my mental health, and to tell me how glad she is that I'm coming back. I'm feeling slightly less terrible about the whole thing. In celebration, Avi and I went to Old Navy, where I scored some good, utilitarian, social worker khakis for 12 bucks. M and I bonded. She told me horror stories of other families she interviewed with and we talked about how we each felt instinctively like she was the right fit for our family. Last night, 3 beautiful men danced a segment from Ailey's Revelations on my fave reality dance show. Of course I cried.



Meanwhile, Avi is asleep in my lap after a sweet nurse. Leeor will be home soon. I'm having a glass of wine. Monday will inevitably arrive, and I'll catch the 43 bus to work. But for now, the weekend beckons and we've purposefully made no plans, save to savor and celebrate each moment together. I feel like I've begun the journey back to myself after the incredible change that is motherhood encompassed me the moment Avi was born. . .

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I gotta tell ya, reading about your life and times at the moment makes being in exile that much tougher. You're doing a bang-up job, Melissa. You, Leeor and Avi.
That kid's going to be asking to borrow money and the car keys before you know it...

Gillian said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better about it, sistah. Keep taking care of yourself! So glad you went to yoga.
love you,
g

Melissa said...

Tis true, tis pity . . . thanks for the words, you two. You should meet someday, Gillie and Ade. G's ma is a Brit, A --sorry to have missed M's call today! Yours too, G. Talk soon. xo

dig this chick said...

Thinking of you on your big day of change tomorrow. Your guy will thrive. And, eventually, you will too.