Fall is my favorite season. Maybe because my birthday is in October, but mostly I love the change in seasons--you can smell fires burning in fireplaces, feel a coolness in the shadows as the days darken a little earlier each day . . .
We are having a nice, relaxing weekend. Friday was my day off, and although Avi and I were both nursing colds, he slept in and I stayed in my pjs until noon. The only sour note was getting him a flu shot. He was fine at the time, but it clearly worsened his cold and just turned him into a fussy mess. I felt really conflicted about whether to get it for him, but working in the hospital has made me all paranoid. Leeor ran out to get him a humidifier yesterday and that seemed to help a lot.
Yesterday we mostly hung out at home; Leeor was preparing for a class he's teaching today to a bunch of kids in east Palo Alto. The class is called Know Your Rights and it's part of a youth court program that allows juvenile defenders to be tried by a court of their peers. Avi didn't nap much and needed a lot of extra cuddling, but I didn't mind. It was kind of nice once I changed my expectation of what the day would be like. The simplicity of just taking care of my little boy, who has become so big and is trying to crawl, pulls himself up to stand in his crib and everywhere else, waves and claps, chats up a storm and eats well, but who was feeling crappy and just wanted to be held and nursed and snuggled, was really sweet.
Late in the afternoon, I had Avi in the ergo while we stood out on our patio and blew bubbles. There was a chill in the air and I got that cozy fall feeling I love. The air smelled like the ocean and I was reminded again about how much I love living here.
Sometimes I feel like I am supposed to be doing more, or I guess I feel frustrated that I'm only expressing certain parts of myself. I miss teaching yoga, miss dancing, miss having more creative outlets in my life. I think I get impatient about this process, and it was good to spend the day at home just enjoying my baby and husband, enjoying our home, enjoying the sea air and the feeling that fall is here.
No comments:
Post a Comment