Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Parenting styles




This can be a very touchy subject. I have been feeling very self-critical of all the things I "should have" done over the past 4 1/2 months . . .when all along on this parenting journey, the thing I learn over and over is that I have to trust myself and trust my instincts.


But here I am, fretting about going back to work, etc, and how I "should" have Avi on a schedule, etc, and then I find myself on the phone with a fellow social worker about to give birth to her second child. This is when I love my job because I work with all these fabulous, strong, amazingly support social workers. She gave me all this validation about my parenting style, and reminded me that it works because it's mine. Avi is a happy, healthy, thriving little boy. He will be just fine, schedule or not. As I type this, he's cracking up laughing at me and kicking his legs. What a guy.
Leeor and I constantly joke that Avi is our attachment baby. And we love that about him.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

I agree with your coworker. Your parenting style is so very yours and so very beautiful! You are a naturally wonderful, attentive, engaged and splendid mama! So good to see you.
Love,
G
P.S. Send me the link to Nicole's blog so I can keep up with her too.