Sunday, June 1, 2008

Big Wedding Weekend

Saba and Safta
Rehearsal dinner in Carmel-by-the-sea

I missed Avi during bridesmaid duties!


Our dear friend Rachel married lovely man, Brian, this weekend down in Carmel. Happily for us, Avi's grandparents live in Monterey. Happily for them, too, as we descended upon them Thursday night and stayed until Sunday.
This was anxiety-producing for me. Avi had never before gone to sleep at night without "nursing down." I haven't been apart from him all that often, either. And I was to go to a bridesmaids' spa date, bachelorette party, rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, and then, of course, the wedding!
I shouldn't have worried. Avi was a champ. Saba and Safta were only too happy to take care of Avi, and Avi was thrilled to spend time with his grandparents. They even put him to bed two nights!
It was good for me (and good for Avi, and good for my marriage) to have some grown up time apart from Avi, and let other people take care of him. I'm as typical as most new mothers, fretting that "my way" of soothing him is the only way, and of course it isn't. It was also good to take Avi out with us, to have him out on the town and let him be admired . . .
Though it wasn't "our" day, wasn't our wedding, it was still big stuff for our family to experience. And it was really, really good.



No comments: