Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sleepy Sunday

A cute song from our latest favorite Sesame Street episode is running through my head.  Everybody sleeps . . . and it really feels as if the entire city is sleeping in, or at least lounging around in pajamas because it's foggy and drizzly.  I love it.  I have both screen doors wide open to let in the damp, fresh air.  Just yesterday I was feeling annoyed that San Francisco has its own seasons, but today I don't mind.  



Leeor and Avi are both sleeping downstairs.  After his late night last night, Avi awoke on the early side (his regular wake up is shaping up to be between 6:30 and 7, which I love, so I'm not used to anything earlier anymore). Leeor and I decided I would get up with him for an hour and then Leeor got up and I went back to bed.  Except that I couldn't sleep. 



 My friend just loaned me that teen book sensation, Twilight, so I lay in bed for an hour reading.  It's such bad writing but it's so compelling I couldn't stop. I know I should have slept, and I could sleep now, but we are going to have a fun day out with Saba and I am getting my hair cut tonight.  Now is my alone time. I unrolled my yoga mat for some languid stretches, then made coffee, then sat on the balcony, ready to chat on the phone with girlfriends.  No one answered, which is unfortunate, because Avi's naptime is the perfect time for me to gab on the phone with girlfriends.



The birds are chirping and there's a vague smell of wood burning in a fireplace somewhere.  The smell isn't very springlike, but I like it.  It feels cozy with my guys asleep and the house to myself.  I wonder how long it takes to re-discover oneself after the birth of the first child?   I expect it feels different for each woman.  My course is just right for me, which is a good feeling.  I am so grateful for all the time I had at home with Avi in the beginning.  Now, I am grateful for good childcare while I work, and also this ever-growing evolution of myself.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I love all of your reflections on Avi's amazing steps and your journey as a mother. I can feel your endless love for Avi in your words. Thank you for your continued inspiration and support.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment today! Don't be too impressed-I still have piles of laundry everywhere from our trip to Disneyland and my kitchen island is covered with over 100 books for Evan's class basket that I am still putting together for the silent auction!
PS I love your blog! Avi is so fortunate to have you for his mommy!

dig this chick said...

awe sweet post. sleep. will it ever be the same? bug is an excellent sleeper and it still messes with me. you are so thoughtful with your parenting and discovery. love that.

and, so, what up with twilight? i think i need to check it out.