M got married today! We celebrated with her and Avi was such a social butterfly at her wedding reception. I've never seen him like that before. I loved watching him work the room. He danced, he flirted, he chased after the other kids, he offered to share his sippy cup, he tried to coyly take a balloon from an older girl (and it almost worked). He even fought sleep on our way home and gave me the sweetest, most tender smile each time I peeked at him in the back seat. M was so happy, so beautiful, and so moved that all the families she's ever worked for were in attendance with their children. I thought that spoke volumes about what kind of lovely person she is.
We had a rite of passage on a smaller scale in our family today: Avi got his first pair of big boy shoes! Actually, he got two pair, because I couldn't resist. Plus, he chose the green converse himself and how could I say no to such great self-expression?? I would have chosen red or black for him, but I loved that he chose green. I also got him a "sensible" pair of shoes that are supposed to be good for his feet. I had no idea this little outing would feel so big.
Avi charmed the saleswoman as she measured his feet. Size 5 exactly. She brought out several pair of sensible shoes. I put a pair on him, and they ended up being what I purchased. Easy to put on was a big requirement for me. It was a struggle at first, which caught me by surprise. The saleswoman was so helpful. "It's a little like putting bricks on their feet," she said. No wonder he wasn't into it! So we hung out on the floor for awhile and Avi purused the contents of our diaper bag, as well as the selection of shoes on display. He expressed interest in the green converse so she brought them out for him to try. The last pair in his size. What synchronicity. We had to get them though they are not "recommended" for new walkers. There was actually an entire selection of shoes for new walkers. The sensible shoes were part of that group. I figured he could alternate between them and the converse. We left the store with him wearing the green shoes, but not before we settled into the women's lounge for a short nurse. It felt like we both needed a reminder that even though Avi is growing up at an incredible pace, and buying big boy shoes for him felt momentous, he remains, after all, only 13 months old. We are moving forward but also remembering our foundation of trust, love and attachment.
The shirtless thing fascinates me. At some point during the day, Avi tugs at his shirt and tries to take it off himself. Mostly this behavior has been limited to our home, but not today. I could see M laughing from across the room as she spied shirtless Avi. He wore the new sensible shoes to the wedding. He looked pretty cute, and like the little guy he is evolving into more and more each day. I'm so honored to be there when he reaches out to take my hand or Leeor's hand. We love it!
1 comment:
Please wish M the best for me! She's fabulous - I hope she had a wonderful day! x
Post a Comment