Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Photos from the birthday weekend

Such a dorky photo but I loved that Meika and Amber made me crowns so I had to wear them both at the same time.  It was fun to be girly with them; I am so accustomed to being with my guys that sometimes I forget how fun it is to be girly (eg., crown-wearing).
A lovely dinner and concert date Saturday night with Mollie and Andrew while our boys were taken care of by Ya-Ya.  The concert was so good.  I didn't think I would make it but Andrew found a sweet spot up close to the stage where I could basically lounge and sit for a lot of the show (Monsters of Folk at the Fox in Oakland.  What a beautiful theatre! What great music!). And another big thank you to Andrew for sharing the salted caramel pudding.  

Yes, it's blurry, but I think it captures the love between Avi and his Saba.  Everyone came over Sunday night and we ordered from our favorite Nepalese place and indulged in chocolate cake made by my mom.  Even Avi stayed up late like a party animal and was more hammy than I've ever seen him, calling each family member by name and flirting outrageously with Auntie Maital.  It's wonderful to have such a loving family.  Avi is very blessed.

On Friday afternoon we took the kids to Golden Gate Park and ended up at the sculpture garden at the De Young.  Avi was enchanted by the sculptures and wanted to squat in front of some of them to take them in.  He had all kinds of observations to share.  

He was also obsessed with "Baby Clara" and her big sister, Meika.  Meika was so sweet with the little ones.  
Avi picked out this tie-dye t-shirt on our way back from Mendocino. We found this little roadside stand with all kinds of stuff and he just fell in love with it.  I happen to think it looks pretty cute on him . . .
What's a birthday without a trip to Mitchell's for a cone?  I tried to persuade him to get vanilla but no, he is a boy after his mother's heart and we enjoyed this peanut butter and chocolate flavor instead.

Coming back from the Ferry building, the fog was starting to clear and the sun was shining just so and Leeor had to take some photos.  Really beautiful moment.
John, Amber and the girls brought Avi this doggie hat and he loved it instantly.
This last photo was just a random Avi moment that I had to post because it was so funny to happen upon him like this; the top of the exersaucer is sitting on the floor in his room (because we took it apart to put it away but have no place to stash it) and now he has been enjoying it so there it remains.

 ***

I am home today with a smidge of something. The flu is sweeping the hospital and I am a totally paranoid pregnant lady; plus we had a rough night with Avi after poor Gigi required 6 stitches yesterday (thank goodness she is okay) and in all the hub bub his lovey got left behind, not to mention that he of course picked up on all the scariness of her falling and hurting herself.  It was interesting to witness his process.  The only thing he has expressed fear of so far are the 3 raccoons that inhabit our yard and occasionally come up onto our downstairs porch to loot Simon's cat food.  Avi saw one of them one day (because those suckers are bold and they don't even wait til it's dark to come lurking around) and said "Raccoons get Avi's leg." Then last night it was, "Raccoons get Avi.  Raccoons get Gigi." So we worked through it and he still wouldn't go to bed in his crib so he started out in our bed, clutching Leeor until he finally fell asleep around 9 and then woke at 11:30, when he proceeded to scream incoherently for awhile before I finally got him back down in his own bed. I figure I could use some rest today, avoid the flu, and download some photos for good measure. 

It was a great birthday weekend and lovely to be celebrated by family and friends.  I certainly feel older (they are laugh lines, for sure, but still), perhaps a little wiser (though that is questionable), but without a doubt, I feel loved and appreciated.  And that is what feels most important right now.

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

happy belated birthday! i love the crown pic. you look so cute!
:)