Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mendocino



I asked Avi why the Buddha laughs, and he replied, "Buddha eats cookies." Makes sense.





Three years ago today, Leeor and I stood under California redwoods with the ocean lapping just across the road and promised to love each other forever with our truest, best selves.  I loved our wedding.  Before Avi was born, our wedding day was the happiest day of my life.  


We went back to the inn where we got married to celebrate over the weekend.  Oh, the nostalgia!  The weather was just as lovely as it was the day we married.  Not a cloud in the sky and the breeze was cool and sweet.  The innkeepers greeted us fondly and welcomed Avi with genuine kindness.  


He loved Mendocino, which didn't surprise me.  We had a little walk together in Russian Gulch, ate well, tasted wine in Anderson Valley, went to bed early, read and just enjoyed the blissed-out-ness of getting out of the city.  To me, there is nothing better than the Northern California coast with all of its greenery and jutting cliffs over the ocean.  


It was a great weekend, and I was reluctant for it to end.  But coming home was good too, in a different way.  I love our bed.  Avi loves his bed (he ended up in ours at the inn; good thing it was a king), too.  And his bathtub.  


Tonight we took him to one of our favorite restaurants for a little more celebration.  They are so good to us at Farmer Brown!  And so good to Avi.  Crayons and special sweet potato fries sans cayenne salt for his delicate lips.  And ketchup instead of aioli.  Which I realize I actually like, which means I don't have quite the mayonnaise revulsion I've always claimed.  A revelation for which Leeor gave me a lot of grief (there was once an incident with a sandwich and mayo and a certain wife telling her husband how crappy he was for not knowing about said mayonnaise revulsion).  Anniversaries are as good a time as any to reflect, forgive, love, celebrate and express gratitude for the past three years, and especially for this moment.  

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

oh, I love Mendocino. Congratulations to you and Leeor. What a special place to have your wedding memories. Lucky.