
Last Friday, we went up to Apple Hill for the day (after a quick stop in to see Grandma at work). I just love that place. It's kitschy and hokey but it's filled with lots of apples and all things one could possibly imagine made from them. There are also plenty of pumpkin patches. I even went home and made an apple pie
with homemade crust, which felt like a good nesty accomplishment. Fall is feeling good.

While I was in line at Boa Vista Farms, Leeor took about 25 photos of Avi sitting in this chair and then getting up and sitting in another just like it. They are all darling but I had to pick just one to post. Avi loves all things Avi-sized. And he loved apple donuts and cider, too.

My guys, headed toward the pumpkin patch. Don't get me wrong; I am incredibly excited to welcome another child into all this love, but sometimes I really treasure this time that is just for the 3 of us.

And then it finally came time for Halloween. Our neighborhood gets really decked out and it hasn't escaped Avi's attention. M reports that on daily outings, Avi points out various decorations and declares, "Those are for Halloween." Despite his excitement, I was not holding my breath that he would actually wear his costume (which he himself picked out at Costco one day, and it was like 9.99 so I didn't mind if he ended up refusing to wear it), but lo, I came home from an afternoon outing and voila, Leeor had gotten him into the suit. Very impressive. Plus, Saba and Safta were there for all the excitement, which added to the festivity in the air.

Last weekend, I took Avi to a local street festival, where he decorated a trick or treat bag (again, I wasn't sure it would get used for its intended purpose, but again didn't care because he so enjoyed making it! He kept reminiscing about "doing art with kids."). He was incredibly excited to carry his bag around, though it took him awhile to get into actually putting candy inside.


As the night wore on, Avi became quite a trick or treating pro. He carefully studied the other kids. He learned to take candy and put it in his bag after initially crying each time we approached a doorway and some kind person offered him something. It's a funny thing.

He really, really liked this little girl dressed as a cat. And she liked his tail. They circled each other for awhile, checking out each other's tails. There were so many cute kids running around the hood. Our only regret was that we didn't dress up, ourselves, but I just couldn't get it together. Plus, we managed to steer Avi away after we hit several houses and convinced him it would be just as fun to go out to dinner with Saba and Safta.



Even though last year was technically his first Halloween, this year he actually started to get it. I'm sure next year he will be even more of a pro, and then we will have a little baby to bundle up and carry around with us. Which reminds me of a darling brother/sister costume duo we saw. The brother was around 3, and he was dressed as a UPS delivery person. His baby sister was warmly bundled inside a "package" that was propped in a wagon. Just her shoulders and head poked out, and she looked happy as a clam.
But the best was Avi, happily exclaiming, "A cow!" in response to people asking what he was for Halloween, and then "cow says moo!" He even had a moment with some other kids and their parents when he said, "Nice to see you!" I just about fell over. He was running down the sidewalk, chasing after all the bigger kids. I loved every moment. And Leeor and I are making our way through his candy. Fortunately, he didn't really get that all these brightly colored things he dumped in his bag are actually edible. Which is good, because the kid has a sweet tooth.
The time difference meant he had a napless day today, culminating in the worst head-banging tantrum we've ever seen. Maybe it was Halloween excitement overload, or just fatigue. Who ever knows? But he turned in at 6 pm, and I have no problem following closely behind. I can't believe it's November. Leeor said today he wished he could slow down time. Me too. But I love trying to capture these moments in our lives.
2 comments:
he is so gorgeous. i love thinking of creative,wild sf at halloween.
love the shot of the boys holding hands from the back!
Post a Comment