Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Last Hurrah

Summer in San Francisco has finally arrived!
Avi loves ketchup.  
I cut up a Trader Joe's bag to wear as a big mask and he thought it was hilarious.  
Avi loved hanging out with his auntie Maital while she was in town.

Last weekend was hot.  It was 82 degrees in our home and we ate dinner outside on the patio for the first time since we moved into this place last year around this time.  It was lovely.  We spread one of my mom's quilts down, piled pillows on top and enjoyed the stunning view with some friends.  At one point Leeor and Ray actually passed out while Ray's new girlfriend and I chatted about the Twilight series.  They left after midnight and then Avi woke up at 4:45 am.  I coaxed him back to bed, thank goodness, but then he didn't nap at all on Saturday.  He's been such a phenomenal, easy-to-bed sleeper since our weaning vacation that it throws me for a loop when he doesn't nap.  But I honestly didn't mind the extra time with Avi awake on Saturday afternoon while Leeor took the Youth Court kids on a tour of a San Mateo County correctional facility.  At one point I did try to talk him into napping with me on our bed downstairs, where it was a few degrees cooler, and he thought it was a really funny game. . .he loves pretending to go to sleep in our bed, jumping up and down, and playing with my jewlery, books, hats and scarves.


Auntie Maital came with Chris on Saturday night and we ordered Senegalese food which we served up with rum cocktails.  By then the fog had rolled back in so we sat inside and played Scrabble after dinner.  Sunday morning, Avi woke up at 6 after having gone to bed 13 hours earlier.  Leeor kindly let me sleep while he had a special bakery date with the bear.  Avi loves a good croissant.  We love the way he says, "croissant" with surprising clarity.  


I was glad I got the extra rest as I had a 3 hour dance rehearsal.  It was our first rehearsal in the theatre space and there was a drumming class pounding away the entire time we were running our piece but I actually loved the noise.  It was energetic and uplifting.  Wow, our piece feels a little messy for two weeks and counting til the show, but it feels so incredible to be dancing again that I just don't care.  Somehow, it always comes together.


While I was dancing, I found myself existing in this timeless space where I felt like the truest self I have ever known.  I don't know how to describe it.  And I was so happy to come home to Leeor and napping Avi; Maital and Chris had gone back east, Saba and Safta had gone with Leeor's aunt Hedva to take them to the airport before heading home to Monterey.  Avi woke up in time for the 3 of us to eat pizza for lunch and then we headed to the park.

We have our last hurrah this week as we head up to Sun River, Oregon, for Shea and Ryan's wedding.  I am really excited for our trip after I made a lot of last minute revisions to our travel plans.  We are taking 2 extra days and I upgraded us to a suite at Sun River.  The Bay Bridge is closed for mega construction this weekend so I felt justified leaving a day early, and we will spend our first night at Mount Shasta on the way to Sun River.  The weather will be hot and we'll swim together, eat good food and just enjoy some family time.


Today I was reading posts from last year at this time.  We were getting ready to move into this place; it was chaotic and stressful but such a good change for us.  It's been quite a year in this home with the incredible view of the city.  Avi is becoming quite the kid.  I swear he woke up as a 2 year old the other day but we'll see if it lasts.  He is so much fun, snuggly and tenacious that I don't really mind all the toddler-ness. It's funny; a lot of people assumed we were going up to this wedding in Sun River without Avi, and Leeor and I can't imagine taking a trip without him.  Here's to our last hurrah of summer before we greet the fall!




No comments: