First, from then Governer Carter's speech to the University of Georgia on law day, May 4, 1974,
"...the course of human events, even the greatest historical events, are not determined by the leaders of a nation or a state, like presidents or governors or senators. They are controlled by the combined wisdom and courage and committment and discernment and unselfishness and compassion and love and idealism of the common ordinary people."
He said this soon before he announced his unlikely candidacy for President, when the presumptive nominee was to be Senator Kennedy. Sound familiar?
Since we've been back, I have continued to process our experience. I remain moved and awed by it all. Here's our story:
In the early hours before our plane left SFO, we shared an airport bus with an African-American family travelling with their 15 month old daughter. I asked them if people were telling them they were crazy to be bringing her with them to DC. Yeah, but that's what this is all about, isn't it? Them, explained the father. He pointed to Avi and his daughter. I started crying.
We arrived in Baltimore Monday night, but our bag and pack n play did not. Leeor's aunt Ruth and uncle Pedi (Saba's older brother) were incredibly kind to us. After picking us up from the airport and feeding us delicious food, they headed out to get Avi pajamas and warm clothes and baby wash. They had a crib. They had toys. They were wonderful.
The alarm went off at 5AM. Having gone to bed at midnight and then gotten up with Avi around 3, I was dead tired. Not to mention the time difference. But I was also excited. And, our bags had arrived at some point during the night! I took this as a good sign. The taxi picked us up and we made it to the district without incident and picked up Gwen, my dear childhood friend, from her hotel in Dupont Circle, by 6:30. The driver dropped us off somewhere near K Street and we started walking. We actually stopped for coffee. There were less people on the streets than I'd thought there would be. Still, people were streaming toward the Mall. It was exciting. There was a man standing on the steps of Constitution Hall with a sign. I started crying again. He offered us blessings and we thanked him and kept walking.
We arrived at our spot on the Mall sometime around 7:45. Avi was a little fussy. I decided to change his diaper, to see if that helped. Things got a little rough. He screamed his head off as I changed him in the nasty, freezing porta potty. And realized his feet were incredibly cold. It was good to have Gwen around for many reasons; she assured me that I wasn't a crazy, bad mama for dragging my baby to the inauguration. She also came up with the brilliant idea of putting those little hand warmer packets into his boots. Problem solved. On my way back from the porta potty, a French journalist stopped me and asked me some questions. One of them was did I think I would cry at some point during the day? I assured her I'd been crying plenty so far.
It got increasingly crowded. I had a moment when I thought I'd have to leave with Avi, but then the warmers kicked in and he fell asleep, which was good, but he was not in the ergo, which was bad. For my biceps, which are still sore. A lovely couple next to us offered me a seat. Thank you, Matthew from Chicago! He also put big fleece socks over my boots to help warm my feet. People all around us were incredibly kind, generous and eager to share this experience. We all felt connected and jubilant. The concert from Sunday was played on the jumbo tron screens, which was great to help pass the time.
Then things got going. We watched all the folks arrive; I felt like we, back at the third jumbo tron screen, were the scrappy rabble rousers. I loved it. Everyone had something to say about each senator, congressperson and governor who descended down the steps onto that stage. When Michelle came out, many of us cried. Those little girls caused some sighs and tears, too. And the man himself did not disappoint.
It's hard to write about it. I find myself feeling somewhat impatient trying to relay the experience. I realize that I can't perfectly recapture it, partly because it was so surreal. Avi woke up after the swearing-in, but during Obama's speech. It felt incredibly appropriate. Leeor took Avi from me, and I was finally able to whoop and holler with everyone. Before that, with my sleeping boy in my arms, the whole experience felt incredibly internal and shared at the same time.
I am reluctant to admit that we began to make our exit during the poetry reading. I like this woman a lot and hear about her on NPR, but we were exhausted and eager to get Avi out of there. Leeor's law firm has an office on Pennsylvania Avenue near 18th and we'd planned to go there to rest and regroup before heading back to Pedi and Ruth's house.
I have never been amongst a crowd like that. People were incredibly kind, thoughtful and careful. Avi loved all the attention he received from well-wishers. While everyone wanted to get out of there, we all knew we were in for the long haul and responded in kind. At one point, while carried along by this sea of people, a woman moving in the opposite direction asked me why we were heading in a particular direction. I didn't know. She told me there was not exit that way. It was a little confusing. But no one pushed, no one got angry. We worked together to make our way toward the exit, where members of the National Guard stood nonplussed. It was a great metaphor for the way we must work together as a nation to make things good again. I truly believe we can do it.
When we finally made it to Leeor's office, my feet, back and arms were killing me. I hadn't used the bathroom since before 6AM, and it was now after 2PM. People continued to flood 18th Street, and Leeor took pictures of them from the conference room. Avi was thrilled to take off his layers and crawl around the floor. We feasted on food lovingly prepared for us by Pedi and Ruth and tried to take it all in.
I loved Obama's speech but don't know that I could quote any of it. I'm glad we have a copy of it from the NY Times. I hope to read it soon and absorb it. He is already fast at work and we are already reaping the benefit from his presidency. I am just glad we were there to witness such a momentous occasion. These words here cannot do it justice, nor can I possibly capture all of the feelings and experiences of that day. I am ready to work, however, and I pledge our family's commitment to this administration.
2 comments:
yay. Was excited for this post. Gillian and I toasted prosecco to you on inauguration night. I thought of you and your sweet fam many times on that day.
It was a great metaphor for the way we must work together as a nation to make things good again. I truly believe we can do it.
love that.
I am going to be in your hood at the beginning of April for one of my best friend's weddings......don't know if I'll have much down time but I'd love to meet you and your boy.
We'd love to meet you! Keep me posted on your travel plans as it gets closer. Are you coming with husband and bug, too? Is it a city wedding? Wine country? How fun. Don't you love blog love?
Post a Comment