
Mondays are rough. This morning I was later than ever, running out the door after nursing Avi one more time (after asking Leeor to turn off the alarm and getting out of bed way too late because little man was snoozing away), frantically trying to page doctors while sitting on the bus and realizing I hadn't eaten breakfast. I leapt off the bus, ran up to the 6th floor, well, okay, I waited for the elevator because I was too tired to go up the stairs, stashed my breast pump and bag in the special resident room (I always feel like I get funny looks from people whenever I go in there, yet there I was, dumping my wares on the floor because I was desperately late for rounds) and arrived in the Pediatric intensive care unit just as the surgical team was finishing up a discussion of our patient. Who happens to be a tiny bit older than Avi.
Nobody yelled at me. Nothing happened. The world continued on; people greeted me, kept talking, asked me to sign the interdisciplinary form. We moved onto the floor to discuss other patients. I felt like I was faking it. But was I? Though tired and hungry and missing Avi like crazy, I still managed to do my job. And the day passed quickly enough, and I got to connect with my fellow social workers and catch up on things and text message with M throughout the day. She confirmed that Avi indeed is a big fan of the sweet potato.
I arrived home to Avi sleeping in the ergo, strapped to M's body while she rocked in the glider. It was really sweet. He was all splayed out with his head turned to one side. He looked big. She whispered to me a few ancedotes from their day, one of which included a big poo blow-out and an impromptu bath. She's so great. I told her to stay put as I hustled around, trying to "get things done" while he slept, though M had magically cleaned all the floors and done laundry during an earlier one of Avi's naps. I repeat, she's so great.
Eventually, Avi arose and M left and thus began my special time with him. Leeor had to work late so it was just mommy & me time. This is when I discovered that Avi can really sit on his own these days. I sat on the floor while he was sitting, albeit surrounded by the boppy, but still, on his own, playing with a couple of toys. I was mesmerized. I kept looking at the clock. Ten minutes passed and there he sat, doing his own thing, sitting up. It was amazing. I don't think words can describe how I felt.
1 comment:
I can't imagine for a second what your job is like. I'm wowed by you1
Post a Comment