Leeor and I don't always see eye-to-eye when it comes to movies. He went to film school, which is awesome because he's shared that knowledge with me, but sometimes I just want to watch popular schlock and not have to slog through all the IFC recommendations on Netflix. However, as much as he disdains romantic comedies, he'll still suggest watching one every now and then 'cause he knows it makes me happy . . .
There's one movie that we both fell in love with-- I "heart" Huckabees. It's about these existential detectives played by Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman. They are hilarious. Their clients must "dismantle" parts of themselves in order to resolve their existential dilemmas. Not a lot of people enjoyed this movie, but we own it and watch it quite a lot.
Moving right now feels a bit like dismantling. We've only been here a year. We were pregnant when we moved in, and I remember having such a hard time sleeping the first few weeks. Our old 'hood was noisy and edgy while this one was quiet and filled with young parents pushing strollers. Now we are among those parents.
Becoming a parent has made it easier for me to roll with life in ways I struggled with pre-Avi. Like moving. I don't like living in a partially dismantled house but whatever. I worry about Avi feeling our stress and that makes me more determined to chill out. Plus, he's such a cutie. Maybe I'm making things up again, but I swear he's excited about the new place. He was all smiles and giggles when we went over there yesterday.
As a parent I find myself feeling more vulnerable and insecure in other ways. I am more self-critical, unfortunately less inclined to trust my instincts. Like today, when I was talking to co-workers (who specialize in pediatric gastroenterology) about how Avi is digging yogurt, amongst other foods, and they freaked me out. They fretted about him being too young for yogurt and that it may cause vomiting and (get this) bloody stool. That's what you want to talk about at 10 AM before you've had your second cup of coffee.
At the end of the day, during which, M reported, Avi enjoyed a few spoonfuls of his organic Yo Baby banana yogurt, I realize that I have to trust my instincts when it comes to being Avi's mom. And that I'm myself as a mother, not anyone else. It also helped that I talked to a social worker who is an attachment guru as far as I'm concerned and she validated the yogurt. But isn't funny that I got so worked up about it??
The dismantling is taking place a little bit all the time. My world was so small and focused for the first 6 months after Avi was born. It's opening up more and more and I get anxious about my place in it. I guess all I can do is (there's no way to say this without sounding cheesy) just take deep breaths and try to stay present in each moment. I must admit that I'm feeling very nostalgic for the early days with Avi, and since I've yet to post a video, I decided to start with one from our first two weeks with him. . . I miss those days of napping together! An original short film by my baby daddy:
4 comments:
It's tough to go with your instincts sometimes, particularly when you are receiving "expert" advice that contradicts it. Not that I'm suggesting that anyone who freaks out because Avi likes yoghurt is to be ignored, but hey - the kid likes it and it doesn't make him barf or poop anything scary. So..
I remember when we bought a new barbeque and I started using proper wood charcoal (as opposed to briquettes). Every visitor to our house that I've cooked for has looked mildly terrified and asked if I know that charcoal makes "bits of carcinogens" stick to the food.
My response to this is that with all the things in this world that could happen to you or cause you ill health, I'll take my frickin' chances with the charcoal.
Death by Charcoal - WTF?
My point is, I think you should trust your instincts and remember to look at the evidence that's right in front of you. If somethings bothering Avi, you'll be the first to know about it!
Moving sucks. Ain't no two ways about it. Just remember not to put all your books into one big box. Not that I want to tell tales, but Michelle did that when she shipped our stuff to the UK. I almost wrenched myself carrying that sucker up the stairs to our flat!
Oh, and by the way - that's an adorable video! It's amazingly how loudly Avi snores...
Um, Ade, I think it was Melissa snoring!! LOL
I love reading your blogs. Trust your instincts.
saba
Post a Comment