Friday, September 17, 2010

A new year








I love my adopted religion. Especially Rosh Hashanah--it's so joyful. I mean, it doesn't get better than wishing everyone a sweet new year and dipping apples into honey. We got together last weekend at Saba and Safta's house to celebrate. Avi was especially happy that Auntie Maital was in town; I love it when Avi scores some undivided attention.

***

Tonight is the eve of Yom Kippur. I appreciate this one (the rabbi at Avi's school wished me a "meaningful" holiday--indeed), and I especially like Kol Nidre, but it's definitely heavier than its predecessor. It's all about forgiveness

***

Today was my first day alone with Lilit while Avi went to school. My day off. It was so awesome. Lilit slept in until 9:15. Avi and Leeor made a book about their morning routine. I think it helped Leeor with the difficulty of the drop off. Avi still screamed his head off, but his teachers promise me (when I talk to them at pick up) that he calms within minutes of Leeor's departure. The kids made challah bread today. It's pretty freaking adorable to watch Avi nibble on his "little challah bread," as he calls it.

Lilit and I waded through the drizzly fog, hopped on BART, headed downtown and shopped like girlfriends. She is seriously the most mellow baby ever. How did I get so lucky?

We went to Leeor's office--on the walk from Powell and Market to Mission and 2nd we passed so many fascinating people and happenings, like the Sierra Club camped out with potted plants in the street. I loved the energy of it.

It was so indulgent to have a whole day with my girl, but also so necessary. And here's my Yom Kippur confession--it wasn't enough. I want more. More time with my baby but also time to myself. Leeor to the rescue--I am going to yoga tomorrow to start, and then we'll see what happens. I love this life we've chosen, but I need regular "refueling." The new year feels as good a time as any to regroup, reassess, revive and flow through the muck back to my truest self.

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

oh sweet heaven those are some adorable kids you've got.
I love that you love your "adopted religion"...very cool.
I'm finding my 2x a week while Sadie is in preschool a really wonderful time to connect with Lilah. I know that this time is going to be gone before I know it.
"shopped like girlfriends' - love that.
xo