Thursday, August 12, 2010

The sun is shining!!













Finally, because this mama could not take another day of gloomy fog. Even Avi gazed out the window this morning and remarked on "the fog out there."

But perhaps the best exchange I shared with him this week went like this:

Avi: Mommy, I need a wallet.

Me: Oh?

Avi: Yes. A wallet.

Me: Okay.

Avi: I need my own phone, too.

Me: Really.

Avi: Yes. I need my own phone and my wallet. Let's go right now to get me a phone.

Me: Well, this is something Aba and I will discuss first.

Avi: No, don't tell Aba.

At this I could no longer stifle my laughter. I mean, I expected that he'd want a phone one day, but at age 2.5??

***

Now that the sun is shining, I can reflect on our foggy days and see them as cozy. We made a library trip and came out with The Missing Piece (one of my childhood favorites so I was delighted Avi liked it, too) and The Muppet Show. We have borrowed the latter before but I feel like Avi gets it now--and talk about childhood favorites! I love watching it with him. This DVD has 3 episodes, hosted by Steve Martin, Carol Burnett and Gilda Radner. It's awesome. The Gilda episode is my favorite, but really, my favorite part is listening to Avi's belly laugh while we watch together.

***

We spent yesterday morning with a friend and her two girls up in San Rafael and were treated to a nice little dose of sunshine. Both kids fell asleep on the way home and somehow I managed to get them inside, still sleeping. The Muppet Show was our post-nap segue into the evening--Leeor was working late and I smoothly bathed Avi while Lilit snoozed on the couch. We picked Leeor up from the BART station and enjoyed a going-to-bed ritual--the four of us reading books in Avi's room--at one point, Leeor exclaimed, "How fun is this?" I love this man.

***

This time at home with my two children is rapidly coming to a close. I am going back to work a bit early so now feel extra-appreciative of each moment. Like today. I know Avi so well. We'd left the house and he hadn't eaten much. He is just like his mama when his blood sugar dips, though not nearly as bitchy.

"Hold, me, Mommy!" he exclaimed over and over as Lilit slept in the ergo and I pushed the double stroller down the steep hill. Of course I held him with my right arm 'til it ached. How couldn't I? He eventually decided to get into the stroller and we continued on to the market for eggs, milk, and a promised chocolate snack bar. My boy and his sweet tooth. Dare I admit he also scored a cookie from the bakery on our way home? But so did I; everyone was happy.

The sight of the sun emerging as we chomped our respective cookies made them taste even better, "I am like Cookie Monster!" Avi declared. Me, too.

I will miss these days of cookies and walks, of trips to the bookstore, park and library. How is it possible that nearly 4 months have flown? That Lilit is 11 weeks old? Avi two and a half? Leeor loving a new job?

At the moment, my girl is beginning a catnap while Avi slumbers below. We have a family weekend ahead of us. The sun is shining and I feel expansive from its warm glow.

1 comment:

Saba said...

Thank you very much for the pictures and the stories.
Saba