This morning we met with our new financial planner, thanks to a referral from our dearest friends. We were supposed to be there at 8:30 . . .and we don't tend to set alarms for morning wake-ups because, duh, we have two little kids, but suddenly I awokenand it was 7:36. The meeting was in Alameda, a good bridge crossing and 30 minute drive away. We left the house at 8:30.
It felt good to start to get organized . . . big changes are happening in our lives right now. In addition to the obvious (um, Lilit is only 9 weeks old), Leeor is starting a new job next week. He will work with law students who want to begin careers in public interest--I think he'll be so good at it. Plus, no more commuting down the peninsula! As the judge he works with now stated aptly, Golden Gate University's gain is East Palo Alto's loss, but somehow I imagine he'll find a way to keep in touch with East Palo Alto . . .
We are considering a move, too. While we live in an amazingly beautiful, modern city apartment with a killer view, it doesn't feel sustainable to stay for long. Between childcare costs and the need to plan for the future, our rent is feeling too high. Who knows where we will end up, but Leeor is angling for Oakland . . .vamos a ver!
Back to today. After we got home from our meeting I crashed. Between Lilit's doctor visit this week, where she received four vaccines into her tiny body, playdates, Leeor's crazy schedule and kids' sleep being somewhat off, I was exhausted. I lay down for a few minutes but was too hungry to sleep. There are moments when I feel like new motherhood comes down to getting basic needs of sleep and food intake met, not to mention precious time to nurture the soul . . .so there I was, splayed under the covers, when I heard Avi's distinctive footsteps on the stairs, "C'mon upstairs, Mommy. I will help you." How could I resist? So it was legos and lunch and then naptime, which he resisted with all his might. Then I grabbed 10 minutes reclined on the couch til Lilit was awake and hungry. It was foggy and oppressive outside. I had to get out of the house and move my body.
Lilit and I headed out into the city and I found my girlfriend and her baby girl on Valencia Street, which has way more hip stores and restaurants than I could possibly frequent. I shopped vicariously through her, though I must admit to a purchase of my own last week at a local boutique that felt indulgent in just the right way! We lunched (my second lunch of the day, I confess) at Luna Park and were greeted by the men of my family, who rolled up on Leeor's bicycle just as cute as could be.
More food was ordered, diapers changed, babies nursed. My friend's wedding officiant happened by on his bicycle. The sun actually shined for a bit.
My guys headed home while we leisurely ambled our way southward, back to our neighboring homes. Her baby is two weeks younger than Lilit and needed more nursing breaks, so we found ourselves at a cafe. It was sweet.
Then I came home to Avi in the tub so I put Lilit in bed with Leeor; they chatted while I finished Avi's bath and then I managed to catch all 3 of them on film. I just love them so much. I love how Lilit is the spitting image of her Aba, how serious her face gets and then how, as Avi says, "It's like the sun coming out" when she smiles. Technically, he is quoting a book called Benny and Beautiful baby Delilah, but we still think it's cute that he says it.
I caught my firstborn on video when he didn't realize I was filming. His imagination fascinates me. Lately he tells me he dreams of animals doing yoga. Today it was a polar bear.
Today was a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment