Friday, May 7, 2010

Home



Avi and I had a very sweet picnic on our patio before he went down for a nap. I plan to turn in, too, as I have been so incredibly tired. I feel very close and connected to him right now. Yesterday, at our local park, which I love because it hasn't been re-done and still has funky old wooden structures and a sand floor, he spontaneously called out, "I love you mommy!" and I practically burst into tears. This was in the midst of me sitting atop one of these wooden structures that is elevated just perfectly for a pregnant mama to extend legs slightly upward while leaning against a piling. I sat there while Avi kept "bringing" me things (he kept saying he was bringing me chocolate--is he intuitive or what?) and then going back to another part of the park. I love him so much.






The week has flown and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Not that there haven't been funky moments, and we are all definitely transitioning. Avi misses his nanny and our share care family a lot. We will be "doing an art project" as he says, and he'll say something like, "Nana holds the glue like this," or "Nana does it for me this way," and my heart tugs a little as I recognize how connected he is to his caregiver. I miss her, too. Maybe that's why we have been watching Mary Poppins with such frequency. . .and Avi assigns many book characters with the names of his buddy, her mama, and his nanny.

I struggle with fatigue and finding balance. But mostly, the transition is pretty good for me. I love having this time at home before I give birth. Avi has taken to a new game called "Baby sister's booty." We locate her "big booty" in my belly and he "eats" it or kisses it or offers zerberts, whatever he's inclined to do in the moment. There is a lot of laughter.








A few words about our Aba. We had a little family drama recently; long story short, we bought a new car, then our old, sweet Honda Civic literally melted (well, the engine did) two weeks later. It was going to cost the value of the car to fix it. So in a burst of inspiration, Leeor decided to buy a new bicycle for his commute down to East Palo Alto. Now he bikes to CalTrain, rides down there, and then bikes his way around town until he returns home, which usually isn't until after 9pm. Fortunately, there are days he can work from home, but still, I am proud of him. He loves it, too. Avi loves his helmet and wears it as often as he can in our living room.

And Leeor is happy for me to be at home. He sees how sweet it's been for Avi and me this week. Of course I have overdone a bit with playdates, but there have also been afternoon naps or a bath for myself while Avi naps. I haven't applied makeup all week. We have walked to the park, baked bread, completed both "successful" and not so "successful" art projects (the latter is usually me getting uptight about something and then trying to let it go while glitter or face paint slicks our floors). I know this time is fleeting. Soon, my leisurely days of laundry, glue and napping will be replaced by nursing and changing a lotta diapers. I really believe the latter will feel equally as good . . .

For now, Saba and Safta are coming up tonight and I hope to have a date with my husband. My mom comes tomorrow to celebrate Mother's Day. It couldn't be more beautiful outside. I always ask Avi what he wants to have sweet dreams about (he always says his share care buddy, whom he told me the other day is also his girlfriend), and I hope to go dream about this little girl who swims around in my belly awhile longer.

No comments: