I got to go to yoga with Nicole yesterday. Avi had been up from his nap for about 20 minutes when I walked in with my mat under my arm. He was thrilled to see me and immediately grabbed my mat. So I extended my practice to include him and we had to catch it on film. Of course we missed the first few spontaneous dogs he did on his own, but we were laughing too hard to grab the camera right away.
All weekend it's been beautiful. Today was especially warm for the city. We took Avi for his first trip to Ocean Beach, that crowded, dirty, gorgeous place. It was one of those easy experiences we long for as parents. We drove over (10 minutes? Less?) and slid into a parking spot right across the street from the water (though Leeor kept telling me I was crazy to think we'd find parking! City parking can be easy sometimes). I lathered the bear with SPF and we headed toward the waves.
He was scared at first, but Leeor and I were not surprised to find that Avi loves the ocean. It's not like the water is balmy, either. I had goosebumps and my feet were icy as I chased after Avi. I admit that I felt nervous about the power of the waves. I knew I could keep Avi safe but I felt very serious about protecting him. He's not a daredevil kid, at all, and he's usually quite cautious, but he just wanted to run further and further into the waves. It was amazing and also scary. I felt such a bond with him after our first experience in the ocean together. I know this mutual appreciation can last a long time.
PS. Saba and Safta came over on their way back to Monterey after helping Jen and Itay move into their new place in Davis. Lots of love and Little Star Pizza. Very delicious.
PPS. We are so honored and thrilled to welcome Avi's first cousin, Austin Mead Whippo, who was born at 7:45 tonight in Santa Barbara--at the same hospital where my mom gave birth to me! We can't wait to meet him and wish Mead, Tina and Austin all the love in our hearts.
3 comments:
Hi Melissa,
Your blog has been an inspiration! So I've started my own, which doesn't make for particularly exciting reading as yet, which can be found at web.me.com/adeclarke (I would have emailed you, but I don't know your address).
I'm glad everything seems to be going alright for you, Leeor and Avi so far.
love the vid! makes me wish our old yoga days, the bustin' tori, the naggie C! ah, to be young again!
Me too! Congrats on being a new auntie!
Post a Comment