Monday, February 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, Avi!
































Has it really been a year? As I type this, I am listening to the Lou Reed album I had on repeat the night I was convinced I was in labor, which turned out to be a full week before Avi was born. What a journey it's been. From a beautiful, intense labor to this moment, I have cherished every bit of it. I have been flooded with memories lately, of my pregnancy to Avi's birth, to the early days at home and the luxury of maternity leave ,to the past 7 months of returning to work and the sensation of time passing at warp speed. I had no idea motherhood would be so incredibly fulfilling and tremendous.



On his first birthday, we decided to celebrate in a low-key way, with family and Avi's little buddy from his share-care. He loves this girl with such intensity that it makes us melt. We were gathered at home, just my mom, Saba and Safta, Itay and Jen, waiting for Avi to awaken from his afternoon nap. Our neighbor and landlord, Cesar, stopped by with Leoncito, his 17 month old, to drop off a sweet gift. Avi woke up to his home filled with family who love him dearly. He was a little sensitive and cautious. Oh, I love him so. He is teething in a bad way right now and I feel for him when he drools buckets and fusses about it. Poor thing. But then his girlfriend, Genevieve, arrived with her parents and he had eyes for no one else. Baby love is amazing. They literally quake with emotion for each other.
Lou is singing It's such a perfect day; I'd like to spend it with you. Oh it's such a perfect day . . . and that's how I felt about Avi's birth. I didn't know it was possible to feel this way about another human being. I remember coming home with him and Leeor sitting cross-legged on the floor while he played "Born at the Right Time" by Paul Simon. He played Jose Gonzales on the way home from the hospital. Every time I hear these songs, my eyes fill with tears. There are so many soundtracks to this little boy's life already.
Avi, you are so loved and cherished by all of us. Your grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends, and of course, by your parents. We think you are the cat's meow, the bees' knees, the bomb and quite simply the best thing that has ever happened to us. Happy birthday little bear. Can't wait to celebrate many, many more.







5 comments:

Kelle said...

what a great post! love that bookshelf with that great slew of books on it...and the vitange radio flyer push toy! happy birthday, avi! He is so beautiful!

dig this chick said...

I love that I share my birthday with your boy! He is just so beautiful...and I hope to maybe meet Avi and you soon...we will be in SF at the beginning of April. Just bought my tickets today.

Anyway, I haven't even read your post yet because I was so excited to say happy birthday Avi! So, now, off to read (yes, I am supposed to be working).

Nicole said...

What a year it has been! I feel blessed to share this experience with you. The Bear is such a gift! Happy Birthday sweet boy!

Janine Evans said...

"they literally quake with emotion for each other."
Melissa! What a beautiful and stunningly accurate observation.
I love your soundtrack to Avi's life...that is so cool.
Happy birthday, sweet boy! And congratulations, lovely mama.

Janine

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Avi! From your friends in London! xoxo