Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Trip planner




I have become more efficient in motherhood.


That's now how I used to roll. But 10 months ago we had a baby, a beautiful baby boy, and sometime between then and now I have become more efficient, whether it's at Target or at work or in my kitchen. A brief non-sequiter; my fellow social workers and I were discussing (at lunch in the cafeteria today) our respective abilities to make dinner out of whatever exists in the kitchen. It was one of those conversations that feel incredibly satisfying in its simplicity. Tonight, in hommage to that conversation, I made a quiche. Leeor was suspicious; I hadn't followed a recipe or anything. It was good. I felt efficient, especially because I started the meal with Avi hanging out with his own pan on the kitchen floor. Maybe we just want him to be musically inclined, but he really seems to be. He was keeping time by "playing" the frying pan so I started singing. I love hanging out with him.



Back to efficiency and planning. We have a few trips coming up. We are going to NYC this Sunday for a week's vacation. Leeor's firm has an apartment on the upper East side that we can stay in (for free!) so we decided to have ourselves some family fun. I may be in denial about all the packing, or maybe I'm more relaxed that I think I am, but I'm just really excited about our trip. I know it's a long plane ride, I know it's gonna be cold and we are not used to it; I know we might get all wacked out---but--NYC!!!! I can't wait! A week of just the 3 of us doing our own thing!

Then we get to go to Tucson for Leeor's cousin Gila's wedding on New Year's Eve. Then (wait for it), we are going on a super quick trip to DC for the inaugeration. We actually have plane tickets; we are staying with family, and while we certainly don't have tickets to the actual event, we are just going to join the throngs and hope to catch a glimpse of our new President.


Today, while at work, I spent a good amount of time researching this last trip. There are many helpful websites. I swear, if I were this thorough and organized (I made a folder for this trip!) about all aspects of my life, I would already be a licensed clinical social worker. In addition to many other things.


Meanwhile, Nicole brought her 3 gorgeous children over this afternoon. I was charging up the hill with all my bags, trying to get home from work, when I came upon them getting out of their car. It was such a cute sight. I called out to them and waved. Sofia and Luca came running toward me with big smiles. It absolutely made my day. Kids are amazing. Nicole asked me if I'd started packing for New York. Only in my head, I told her. So maybe I'm not as efficient as I think.




2 comments:

Janine Evans said...

NYC! a free apt on the upper East Side?! Oh, I'm green with envy. But wait - I think I'm even more jealous of your trip to DC to revel in the energy of our nation's capitol for this historic inauguration. That's just SO awesome.

Gillian said...

good god you guys are awesome! way to take advantage of the free tot. all of the sudden you're six months out of paying for tickets and wondering where the hell else you should go. so wish i could go to nyc and play with you!!