Friday, November 28, 2008

Many thanks







Observing the ceremonious dunking of the turkey into the fryer














Toasting Chester, our delicious bird






Mead frying it up







Avi on his walk to the park for a little Turkey Day frolicking on the swings


















We have a lot for which we are grateful. Such as, Barack Obama will be our next president. Every time Leeor sings out Barack Obama in his best falsetto, Avi turns his head toward his dad and grins. I'm totally not making it up.





This was our first Thanksgiving as hosts. It was Avi's first Thanksgiving. We had such a nice gathering; it was a great mix of family and friends, with different cultures and traditions coming together to eat good food and celebrate.





Nicole called in the morning to see if I could come to yoga. There was a special benefit class at my favorite studio, given by my favorite teacher. Leeor was all for it, so out I went! My mom had just arrived, so she, Leeor and Avi headed out to the park while Nicole, Vanessa, John and I om shanti'd our way into a day of gratitude.



When I returned, my brother and Tina had arrived, as had Leeor's parents and his aunt Ella. I must admit, after the yoga class, it felt a little wild in the kitchen. I had a brief moment where I thought I must have been out of my mind to want all 13 of us to gather at our little city abode together.





Not to worry. What a great bunch. Everyone was contributing and helping to make a fantastic meal. Mead and Tina brought all this expert gear to use for turkey frying. They were so efficient! The grandmothers were bustling about, seeming to do many things at once. Leeor was master of music and schmoozing. Itay and Jen arrived, as did John and Vanessa, bearing more food and extra hands. Another table and chairs were set and we actually had enough seats for everyone. I got Avi down for what would be a 2 and 1/2 hour nap. He woke up as we were ready to sit down to eat. Avi has impeccable timing.




Everyone shared feelings of gratitude while we sat and ate together. I continue to feel grateful for my beautiful, healthy boy, my loving, attentive husband, our amazingly supportive family and friends, and our greater community here in the bay area that helps us grow and thrive. The only downside was that my dad was in Texas, and Maital was in New Hampshire. Still, it was a wonderful Thanksgiving.

No comments: