



After a long dry spell of no blogging. Michelle has been visiting us for awhile. She and Leeor met at NYU film school in the 90s. Oh, the nineties. Now she lives in the UK with Ade, who is awesome. We stayed with them on our way back from South Africa a couple years ago. They were marvellous hosts.
So we have been enjoying the city through Michelle's eys; plus, the weather has been amazing. Avi has also been amazing. We just put up a baby gate tonight. By we I mean Leeor and Michelle put it up while I held Avi and we watched and cheered them on. It really does take a village and it's been nice to have another set of hands.
Yesterday we went down to Monterey/Carmel to see family. Leeor's aunt Ella is visiting from Israel and she is just so wonderful. There really is nothing better than sitting around, all eyes on my baby, with a bunch of people smitten. We went shoe-shopping at Shara's; we went to a late lunch at Baja Cantina, one of my Carmel Valley faves; we enjoyed some spectacular weather. We paid for it a little last night and today, as Avi had such a lovely nap on the way back that he didn't go to bed untl 10pm, but it was worth it.
Something happened to me yesterday. Maybe I had an epiphany or a revelation, or maybe I am just too tired to keep on keeping on in the same way. I had this fantasy of us living in Carmel. Me making jewelery, teaching yoga, doing a little bit of social work, playing with Avi. Lots of family hands helping out. Leeor able to piece things together as well. I don't know. Maybe it's just a dream but sometimes life in the city feels really hard and stressful. As we drove back last night, and I pulled off the freeway en route to our place and came upon a MUNI bus, emission free, yes, but still a big ugly bus, I shuddered. I mean, I am grateful for my job and our lives here and everything, and I love all the amenities we have living in the city, but sometimes it just feels nutso.
Maybe I am having the Sunday night blues. But at leastt this week is a short week because of Thanksgiving, and we are hosting for the first time. Today I shopped like a madwoman--Trader Joe's, Mollie Stone's, Babys R Us. Did I mention the need for a baby gate? Plus I picked up a massive turkey and named him Chester. We will deep fry him, which I have never done. I am super excited about having everyone over. There will be lots of food and family. I can't wait. Do I really have to go to work tomorrow?
Tomorrow is Monday; Michelle heads back to London; we go to work and the world keeps on turning. Avi has another cold but he is cruising around like gangbusters--hence the need for the baby gate. Is time really flying by this quickly??
4 comments:
Carmel is beautiful!We went for a weekend last year--that beach at the tip of the town is so gorgeous. But we would miss you in the city:) Don't go. Am I at work? Nah.
I am not awesome. Merely impressive.
It was a pleasure to have you here, and thanks for looking after Michelle. I know she's had a great time. By the way, did you know that you are unable to own a franchised business in Carmel? That's one of the reasons that Carmel is the way it is. That and Clint Eastwood being Mayor. Any trouble in Carmel and... well, let's just say that they'll need another couple of coffins...
so hear the pull to a quieter life. but don't ask me about it, sister -- you know i'm a total convert.
the nice thing about cali is you are always close to city amenities, even when you are in a place as remote feeling as carmel. in missoula it's a three hour shlep to spokane and spokane does't have didly for cool amenities. anyhoo. don't get me going!
love your honest words.
I had a great time guys - I hope you got my emails. Have a fantastic Thanksgiving and thanks again for everything. I'm missing Avi's toast time in the morning already! xoxo
Post a Comment