Monday, September 15, 2008

Catching up

It's been 3 weeks since I last blogged.


We moved. And just tonight we said goodbye to our old home. Leeor and I felt quite nostalgic about our time there. I practically gave birth to Avi in the dining room. We gave him his first bath on the kitchen counter, gingerly sponging his little body and carefully washing his thick black hair over the sink.


Now I sit on the floor in our new home. I look out the window and see the lights of the Bay Bridge flash dimly through the fog.



Fall is settling in. I feel it in the weather, anticipated it as I got dressed this morning. Mondays suck. Leeor and I were rushing around trying to get ready for work. Avi was definitely feeling our anxiety, our energy so different than it had been over the weekend.



Saturday morning, for example, while Maital and Chris were visiting, Avi woke up super early. Leeor and I sat on his bedroom floor (Avi has his own room now! Hooray!), well, Leeor lay down on the floor and I gravitated between lounging over him and rocking in the glider while Avi played with his toys. Eventually he tired and I put him in the ergo to lull him back to sleep. He went back to bed in his crib and Leeor and I went to bed in our room (we have our own room again! Hooray!), and we all slept in (get ready) until after 10 AM!!! Hallelujah! Then we got to have leisurely coffee and banana bread (though the chocolate chips sank to the bottom and Leeor wondereded if the whole wheat flour was to blame; I dunno, but I need to get my baking mojo back) and admire the view.



The view of the city is one of the best things about our new place. Not to be picky, because it's so phenomenal that I fear taking it for granted, but it's not the body of water I would choose to gaze upon daily. I love the ocean, the bay between it and the peninsula even, but the east bay? After two weeks of living here, however, I really, really love it. I love having a body of water to gaze upon daily. I don't care which body of water it is. It's tranquil even though surrounded by city sprawl on all sides.



My commute to work is still a bit rough. I am working out the kinks. For example, today I had to wait quite a bit for the N Judah until a pro-active nurse called the hotline and found out there was some kind of problem. Mind you, I was coming home from work and in the kind of desperate hurry I feel when I've been apart from Avi almost 9 hours. On a Monday. I debated about what to do, what would be best, should I just splurge on a cab? In the end I took 3 buses. The 43, the 23, the 26. Thankfully, wonderful Gillie happened to call as I was awaiting the 43. I was just starting to panic. Gillie has a talent for turning lemons into lemonade, and I was so grateful to catch up with her as I made my way home.




All's well that ends well. Simon, our kitty, finally joined us here tonight. Avi, Leeor and I made one last pilgrimage to the old place, way past his bedtime, if you ask me, but it's a full moon and he took a late nap after I arrived home from work. I'm trying to roll with things, be more flexible, recover more and more of the self I've worked so hard to know and claim.




Leeor is asleep on the sofa; Avi is asleep in his crib, and I am listening to public radio and happily blogging after a long dry spell. I was too stressed to document our life, too busy with the mundane and struggling to adjust to my 4 day work week after a sweet 3 day a week re-entry to work , not to mention that I have way too many new photos of Avi to download yet I know not where the cable that connects camera to computer is. It's in a box around here somewhere, but tonight is just about trying to summarize the last few weeks for our little family. It's been pretty nuts, but I am ruefully realizing, in this quiet moment to myself, that I wouldn't have had it any other way.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

hooray for quiet moments to ourselves! love to help with your lemonade.

love you.p