The first thing people usually say when they meet Avi is, "Look at all that hair!" He has a pretty impressive head of it, and it's naturally formed into a kind of hipster faux-hawk.
Coming home from San Diego was interesting. I realized how nice it had been, albeit surreal, to have lived in a hotel for a week. All I had to do was attend to Avi, which is a marvelous deal. At home, there are piles of laundry, dishes, dust, Simon the cat to feed and try to find time to pat attention to, bills to pay, thank you notes to write . . .and while I've been working on letting go of a lot of it, some of it just frankly needs to get done.
But coming home was also great because I was armed with the confidence travel brings. Avi and I set out on some home town adventures last week. We went shopping. We went walking. I tried out the Ergo for the first time and loved it (so did Avi; he slept and snored the whole time). We even went to mommy & me yoga, by way of the BART, no less. We'll do the BART again, but I don't know about the yoga. $16 later, we were both sweaty (due to the heated, stuffy room, not the asana practice), and I had fed him 3 times, he'd spit up once, and I'd changed his diaper twice. As nice as it was to be in a room full of women doing the same, I think I prefer my yoga served straight up. Leeor will have some quality time with Avi while I go to yoga on my own next time. Besides, Avi and I do yoga at home all the time . . .
We also had lunch with my friends at work, and drove down to Palo Alto to pick Leeor up from work (and show Avi off to his colleagues there--one woman who was particularly missing her baby almost didn't let him go).
And last night we had a lovely evening on the isle of Alameda with Mollie, Andrew and Declan. Even Declan couldn't resist the allure of Avi's hair. I wish I could post a photo of this, but we left our camera behind in our travels. We'll get it back, and of course in this day, we have cameras on our phones, but just haven't downloaded the new pics yet. Maybe I can dig up an oldie. It just won't do this big boy justice, however. Avi has officially hulked out of his newborn clothes. Weighing in at 12 pounds and measuring 23 inches, Avi is wearing 3-6 months clothes at the tender age of 5 weeks. He is asleep on my lap as I write this, his face inches away from his favorite thing of mine (guess what), which I left uncovered as he passed out after about 2 minutes of feeding. He's snoring like mad, and he's clutching my pajama top.
It's beautiful out this morning. I may take Avi for a walk into Glen Canyon, we may have lunch in Burlingame with some mamas also on maternity leave, we may pick Leeor up from work again. Life feels really good and full (um, not unlike these porn star jugs that literally pour out milk all the time! I go through several breast pads per day, and still soak my clothes. Maternal bliss.) and fun.
1 comment:
i love hearing about your days, meliss! we have to see each other and let big, swarthy boy meet his little, pale girlfriend in missoula! i love you!
gk
Post a Comment