Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Fine Balance


Leeor and I share a car. While pregnant wiyh Avi, we considered becoming a two-car family. We haven't decided yet, but I'd like to try to get by with one car if we can help it . . . however, Leeor works in Palo Alto, which is about 30plus miles south of the city. Without traffic, it's about a 35 minute trip door-to-door. If he travels on BART and CALtrains, it's roughly 90 minutes, which is a bummer when he wants to hurry home to see his baby (and me, of course).

Still, we try to share the car during the week. Since I had it yesterday, I went a little nuts. Avi and I went to Whole Foods for my oh-so-necessary breast pads, then down the peninsula. We made 3 stops: one at a mama friend's for lunch, another at my mama friend Carrie's, and finally at Leeor's office before returning home to greet Max and Amaya, who came for dinner.

Avi was so mellow all day. He slept, he nursed--the picture of a newborn with occasional bright-eyed moments that charmed our friends. Of course, I fretted that all his daytime sleeping meant we'd be up a lot at night.

It's so hard to find a balance. We had such a fun day out and about, hanging with other moms and little ones, and a lovely evening with our friends. I felt proud of myself for being so relaxed. And then it was 3am, Avi had gas, and I was so tired. Funnily, Leeor stayed up that late working, so we were cranky with each other. We did the whole "who's more tired bit." I probably started it. Avi slept on and off til 7:30--which was fine because he'd slept since 9, while I probably got 41/2 hours myself, though not consecutively.

But it was worth it. Even now, as Avi snores on my shoulder, I know that we'll just have a slower day, and we'll sleep more tonight. Even the weather seems to support us--yesterday was sunny and warm, while today is grey and chilly. And maybe Leeor will get home a little earlier. After all, he does have the car.

No comments: