Monday, November 5, 2012

Beyond Halloween

 Our girl shows up in most of the photos these days because Avi is kind of over being captured on film.  He prefers to control the tech device, eg, "Mama, you should really download more games onto your phone," or, "Mama, let me choose a filter for a picture," a la Instagram.  Whoa.  I really struggle with advances in technology and have no clue as to how much is good for the kids.  Leeor reads up on the subject quite a bit so I trust him.  And I trust my instincts.
 But back to our girl and her seasonal obsession with the fake crow in our Halloween decor milieu.  Pretty funny stuff.
 She got a new helmet.  So did Avi.  Lilit enjoys getting as much use as possible out of it.  Same for her Halloween costume, which, technically, was a birthday gift from my dad, part of a dress up set.
 Speaking of dress up clothes...Avi was ready for Halloween at the end of August.  During a quick Costco visit a few months ago, he snagged an Ironman costume and Lilit a Cinderella dress much too big for her two year old self, nevertheless, the costumes have gotten much use between our brood and the kids' buddies.
 Then Avi wanted to give away his candy, after deciding that this modest haul was plenty, and we were nearly overcome with all our glances to each other of "can you believe it?" and "it's too good to be true!" and it was too good to be true, as he somehow imbibed several pieces himself before succumbing to a blood sugar meltdown before (extra late) bedtime, during which I sort of loathed Halloween.
 But I adored handing out candy with my girl. She had such exuberance and enthusiasm for our many bouts of trick or treaters, shouting, "Happy Halloween!" and "Have fun!" to all the darlings who came through.  I was having social worker moments of watching the kids watch the amount of candy that made it into their bags and trying to just roll with it.  South Berkeley serves up a good mix of trick or treaters.  I wish I could speak more eloquently about it.  Maybe some day.
 But then there was Grandma with Lilit post-tubby, and Saba and Savta bearing dinner and a Savta-knitted ninja hood for Avi so he could wear two costumes in one night.  Because he decided, two days before the 31st, that he no longer wanted to be Ironman, but wanted to be a ninja.  We (and when I say we, I mean Leeor, because at this point he's the only one who can out-convince Avi) convinced him to be both.
 Not unlike how Lilit is both baby and big girl, and Avi both end-stage toddler and tween.  He informed me, however, that he is no longer a toddler.  I imagine he is correct.
 We ended up in the city Saturday afternoon because our dear friends were in the ER and we brought them food--all was well with their toddler and we exited the hospital with them and found ourselves in our old hood (after stopping by our old apartment to pick up my absentee ballot from our landlord, ahem, of course Leeor re-registered to vote in Alameda county), having dinner at Chenery Park.  The most kid-friendly restaurant in San Francisco, as far as I'm concerned.
 We enjoyed ourselves immensely.
 And there is a definite shift in the air, a post-Halloween, hot weather, maybe there's some cooler weather lurking around the corner after all kind of feelings.  Not to mention all kinds of other feelings about occupying the space between almost 2 and a half and babyhood, or 4 and a half and nearly 5.  With all kinds of home improvement on the horizon. . . for now, we ride elephants!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Oh, they're growing up so fast. I do enjoy your posts, catching up on what's going on with you. Whatever negative comments are bandied about our connectedness or lack thereof, I feel grateful that we have this kind of opportunity to keep up with our wide-spread family's lives.