In preparation for the birthday girl's party, the kids and I got some supplies. I can't remember which child wanted the pack of 8 birthday hats, but both of my children have a convincing effect on me, so we ended up with the hats. And tried them on in advance of the party, of course.
The night before the party, I told Avi I would need his help to make the birthday girl's requested "Elmo cupcakes," and he replied, "I know that," just like an older brother would. And help he did. It fascinated me to see how Avi coped with aspects of his jealousy and envy by enthusiastically (and invasively at moments) participating in Lilit's birthday.
She'll take what she can get from her big brother. And she enjoyed her special day; I'm certain of it.
My favorite part of her birthday was when the 3 of us rushed into her room when she woke up. Lilit slept in until 7:30 and also took a 2.5 hour nap, which impressed me. She must have needed it with all the birthday hoopla. And babies to take care of, too. She loooooves her babies!
And her Aba, though she woke up from her nap to all her grandparents present and was initially a bit grumpy, clingy to me, and suspicious. Leeor had taken Avi to see The Yellow Submarine while my mom and I finished the cupcakes and cleaned for the party; just as they returned, Avi fell on the sidewalk and earned himself the right to cry at his sister's party. Fortunately, then both seemed to need only a tiny bit of angst before smoothly moving into a fun afternoon with family and friends.
Plus, Lilit had a new party dress from "Gaga," (her nickname for Safta) that was the talk of the party.
While the initial cheek smooshing was met with suspicion, the birthday girl eventually gave it up.
I know a thing or two about being a daddy's girl, just like our Lulu. Lulu, btw, is the new name she's given herself after reading Lulu the Ladybug Girl several times. But when Lilit says Lulu, it sounds like "Wu-wu." Little Lulu, our ladybug girl.
We'd been singing happy birthday to her for over a week; she knew just what to do and was quite poised!
She's just delicious, in every way.
And blew out her candle all by herself!
The boys were her biggest fans.
And even though the cupcakes *didn't exactly* look like Elmo, the birthday girl was happy.
Especially when she realized there were presents to open. Under the table, of course. Assisted by Grandma and her boyfriend, Elliot.
There was dress up gear from Grandpa, including the shoes that continue to delight her.
It took her no time to accomplish the challenge of walking in these beauties.
And when she opened her new baby (impressively picked out by Reuben's papa), she let out an audible squeal.
I later asked her what her baby's name was and it sounded like she said "Talia," so I repeated it back to her in a question and she confirmed. Baby Talia has been pretty tight with Lulu all weekend.
Elliot knew that the Olivia series is one of her favorites.
And since Ilse gets Lulu dressed on most weekday mornings, she knows my girl is gaga for tulle. Ilse calls her Princesa!
After the party was winding down and the happy birthday glasses had made the rounds, Lulu had a costume change and a final cuddle with her Aba.
Our little girl turned two. Lulu. Lilit Hana Neta.
It's been a wonderful, full 3 day weekend and there are so many photos of the rest of it (a trip to Shell Beach, a family bike ride around town, general shenanigans). But it's super late and my sweet family is asleep. I feel so much about Lilit's first two years on the earth and I'm so excited for more. Sweet Lilit, we love you so much! It was so great to celebrate and commemorate her birth; we continue to reflect about it and roll right on into the next milestones . . .and the Beatles have been our soundtrack for the last week or so, which somehow feels appropriate. The four of us seem to occupy a version of a yellow submarine--it's pretty great in here. We like bobbing along together.



No comments:
Post a Comment