This girl is a toughie. She banged up her knees pretty well this afternoon and cried lustily for all of one minute. She loves to point at all her scrapes and say, "boo-boo" like she coined the phrase. She tried to get Avi's attention in the back seat after we picked him up from school. He was all, "I already noticed her boo-boo's," ever the cool big brother. Lilit didn't seem to mind. She has endless affection for him and really, he feels the same way when he's not consumed by jealousy.
Leeor was with the kids a good portion of Saturday while I worked and then my mom, auntie and cousin came over and we spent the afternoon and evening ogling the kids together. There's really nothing like having more family around to ooh and ahh over the kids.
The weather was some of California's best and Sunday morning was insanely bright and warm. We were up early and I was pretty wiped from a long work week but the kids decided our tiny back porch makes a good stage and who was I to complain about fatigue? There was a show to watch!
Actually, they each took turns. I'm sure our neighbors appreciated them taking turns banging a tambourine around 8 am.
They both loved their applause (mommies always clap the loudest) following their musical numbers.
My baby turns 2 in a little over 2 weeks and she's just blossoming. I asked her today if she was my flower. "Mm-hmm," she affirmed with her usual response to any of our questions.
This girl has many nicknames in our home and answers to all of them: Lee-loush, Loush-coush, Leelee-toush, Lee-leetie-sweetie, Lee-lee, Lu-lu; or when we are going for brevity, just Loush." If Avi is up when I go into her room in the morning, he usually co-opts my greeting, saying "Hi sweetie!" in a higher voice than usual. I love when I catch them loving each other. Or when I realize how important they are to each other, like when I came home from work this afternoon while Avi remained at school and Lilit peered around me to the empty front porch. "Avi is still at school, " I offered, "we'll go pick him up soon." She settled for me with a heartfelt, "Hi, mama!" before she exuberantly bid Ilse good-bye, waving and blowing kisses. Our little performer.
We are sort of weaning. Too many people have opinions about it for me to hear my own voice, but I'll be working on it. I imagine we'll just find our own way. She's pretty delicious--I don't mind snuggling her when we nurse. Leeor calls her our toasted marshmallow. Indeed!
Her birthday is Memorial weekend and I imagine we will have a smallish party in the backyard . . . with Elmo cupcakes for our "Melmo" loving girl!
I told my friend during a playdate at the park this afternoon that all I want to do is hang out. I have Spring Fever and need a summer vacation. We are definitely camping and road-tripping late July/early August and I can't wait to take this family on the road and sleep together in a tent! Or a hotel. We'll see how it goes.
Until then, I enjoy the good fortune of California weather, our beautiful, humble home, our healthy family and all this love we have.
1 comment:
Love the nicknames!
Love what you have to say about weaning. That's where we are roughly, too.
Love the observations about the sibling love & jealousy. The cool older kid. We've got that going on too!
:)
Happy almost birthday to Lilit!
Post a Comment