Monday, April 23, 2012

Embrace

 We had family dinner in the backyard tonight and I hope it's a new tradition.  Lilit has plenty to say and gestures like a true Israeli.  Lee-looosh! we all exclaim to her in our best attempts at Uncle Moshe's accented, deep voice.
 Avi was chilly and briefly headed inside for a change of clothes.  With Leeor away last week and me joining him for the weekend, Avi's tried so hard to control everything he can, but I can tell he's feeling more settled even tonight, his wackness firmly in place. Leeor came outside and asked me if I'd seen what Avi was calling his "silly outfit:" underwear only and another pair on his head.
 Being away together for the weekend was a pure delight, but there's nothing better than being at home.  This is where it's at.
 Avi in his weather appropriate apparel, complete with tough guy poses.

**** 
Leeor and I managed to spend our entire Saturday exploring Austin by foot, which helped balance the insane amount of food and drink we imbibed.  It was decadent and so much fun to be with my partner of 9 years, just the two of us.
 After walking from one end of town to the next, forgoing the reggae festival in favor of a seat lakeside, we ended up at the Hula Hut.
  It's nice to feel in love with this guy, this incredible husband, friend and father. He's hilarious, too.
 And Austin is just adorable.  Every person we encountered was so sincere, nice and sometimes quirky in the best kind of Portlandia way, with the exception of the youngsters out until the wee hours on 6th street.  I felt like such a mom as I looked despairingly at the young girls prancing around and wanted to yank down their skirts and find more fabric to cover them up on top.  "Lilit will never dress this way!" I hissed to Leeor.  I couldn't help it.
 But back to the food--it was excellent.  Partly because each meal was uninterrupted by the needs of our young children, I'm sure.
 And the amount of cute vintage shops could fill several Bay Area blocks.
 How I wanted to buy trinkets from this adorable father-daughter team of Latino artists as we chattered away in Spanish.  But we never made it back by their table. Next time!
 Still, as good as it was to be away, we couldn't wait to come home.
My girl was so snuggly today, and Avi was more complicated with his emotions but just as sweet.  And Leeor and I are shored up by our time away together--ready for more, always, but so appreciative that Saba and Safta took such good care of our brood and that we have family so close to support us.

We had a lot of long talks about where we are, where we want to go, how we feel about the kids and our places in the world, education, careers, beliefs.  I'm sure we'll still bicker about the stupid stuff, but at the end of the day we show up at home, at the community table with our family, share a meal and get the kids to bed one way or another.  We know that this time with the kids is so precious and we feel glad that when it's just us again one day, we'll be okay.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

It's so important to keep that love alive. It's so hard when your kids are all finally flown. Then you'll be so glad the two of you still know each other.

Janine Evans said...

* love * ! never been to Austin - hope to check it out someday.