
He's a kiss-kiss fish with a kiss-kiss face . . .

Spreading cheery-cheeries all over the place!

Sweet Lilit is changing, changing. She says more and more and for the first time today, seemed jealous of Avi. She kept clamoring for attention after we picked him up from school and I slung her on my back in the ergo. I still love carrying her but she wants to explore on her feet. For her safety, though, I explained firmly, I will pick her up when we cross the street until she can learn to stay with me. Avi was not a kid who darted out into the street or plain refused to hold my hand. He doesn't want to hold my hand anymore ("I'll stay right next to you," he assures me, and he does) and Lilit wants to do everything just like her big brother. She even says, "Oy vey!"

Guess what she's yelling? Ahh-bee-yaaah!!!

I'm still into my little yard flowers and small jar vases.

And way into my flower girl, of course. She has to pinch her own cheek--it's so tempting!

I will never tire of this light-filled home. Mornings are especially great as the back of the house faces east. We get good sunrises.

Best bedhead ever. Avi laughs at Lilit, "Look at her crazy bedhead!" And I was like, "Dude, you should see yours."

The family that carbs up together stays together. Lilit was struggling a bit to get her penne on her fork but would applaud herself enthusiastically when she did.

Last week we enjoyed celebrating Leeor's and Safta's respective birthdays with a birthday song and candles at the seder. We continued to celebrate Leeor's birthday all week--Avi helped me hang our now ubiquitous family "happy birthday" sign and we feted away. Avi suggested I get Leeor some new movies for gifts and when I wondered if he already had plenty, Avi replied helpfully, "Well, that's okay, because he really, really likes movies. You could still get him some more." I took him to the pediatrician the day of Leeor's birthday due to a mysterious rash on his face. I called to consult and they urged me to bring him in as there's a new strand of hand foot and mouth disease going around. That's so hot, right? Thankfully, it turned out to be nothing and we had a chaotic birthday dinner at one of our favorite city spots. Leeor is such a great sport; he turned to me at dinner and said, "Let's just get the check, pack up food, get the kids to bed and eat together later." So we did just that and watched Midnight Cowboy over cold Farmer Brown that we ate straight out of their compostable containers.
The culinary birthday experience continued and went up in quality as we finished up Leeor's birthday week with a dinner out with the McFarlands at Chez Panisse. I managed to keep the location a surprise and we had such a nice meal--at the restaurant until midnight!--with our besties. I heard a rumor they napped the following day . . .but my mom watched the kids and even let us sleep in. She's a miracle worker that way!

Leeor left this morning for a conference in Austin; I join him Friday evening and we return home together on Sunday. So perhaps it was the absence of Aba's rationality that made me give the kids a little of my peanut butter cup ice cream for dessert. Avi was suspicious as to the lack of chocolate while Lilit slurped away happily.

Can't you see him looking for chocolate, somewhere,
anywhere in there? Little big boy has been going through quite a lot of ups and downs ("Mama! Up and down!" is one of Lilit's new catch phrases, perhaps not coincidentally). He's a sensitive one, just like both his parents.
He fell asleep on the couch tonight while I was brushing my teeth. Just like that he was passed out. I let him be for awhile, his little frame covered by a soft blanket. Then I carried him to his room ("This is not my room anymore; it's the playroom," he announced last Thursday) and was surprised by his infant-like deep sleep, his body heavy and wiry in my arms.
***
I have been loving the local landscape after all the rain; everything feels lush, smells renewed and looks like it's glowing; as if Berkeley is personifying its own stereotype by blooming in hallucinogenic intensity.
Last night I went to yoga, helped Leeor pack and thought about how I will pack Thursday night--it feels so indulgent to have a weekend away without the kids that I'm not sure how I feel about it. But I've never been to Austin and I'm definitely ready for a little me time and it's also so important to have couple time.
1 comment:
It's so seldom that parents with very young children get away. Enjoy every minute!
Post a Comment