Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday Night

Leeor and I had a date night on a school night this week. . . it was super fun, even though Leeor got called out by the lead singer of the opening band and at one point the dude included me in his ranting and sounding like such a misogynist. Fascinating.

But we had a fun date . . . on my end, I went to yoga before we met for sushi at our favorite place in the old hood, and Leeor went to the Page, a dive bar that we'd always wanted to frequent but never did.

There we were, swaying to soulful music by the young, talented Sharon Van Etten and I missed the kids dearly. Nearly fell asleep on the cab ride home. Was in OB clinic by 8 am the next day and thank goodness for early rising kids because I actually got to see them a little before I slipped out of the house at 6:57.

***

Leeor and I both had to work today; my mom and his parents all pitched in to watch the kids and it was a win-win for everyone. I swallowed my guilt about missing bedtime and went to a show in the city with a girlfriend. It was at a small venue South of Market, a place I've been before to watch earnest performance pieces. Tonight was no exception. I felt envious during the first piece, found myself thinking, "I could do that!" as the dancers rolled onstage. I felt the old charge of needing to learn movement.

It was good to feel that. I went back to therapy recently with my old shrink and one of the first questions he asked was if I was dancing these days. The fact that I'm not gives me my own personal assessment; the way I felt tonight, watching this piece unfold on a marley floor was confirmation of my suspicions--I need to create. I created two children and that was tremendous; I created a career that continues to blossom. And. I need to create more.

***

So that's it for my Saturday night. No photos of the kids, just a lone mama rambling while everyone sleeps and I try to unwind from a crazy week. I can't wait to see the kids in the morning! But for now I am just sitting on the floor being me, thinking about art and dance and how much I love my family.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

We all must hold on to what we loved in the beginning. That is part of the essential core of who we are.