With one kid bathed and the other on his way, we pulled out the wall hanging to measure the kids and Leeor ceremoniously hammered it into the wall in Lilit's room. Little sister resisted being measured but she couldn't fully resist. She has been going to bed every night around 7:30 since the time change; last night we kept her up til around 9:30 because we had a dinner date that turned into Avi's first sleepover. She was so tired and delirious but still sweet. This girl is just so sweet.
Avi continues to change by leaps and bounds. Our friends reported that he was such a gem during the sleepover and said all the things we want to hear as parents . . . but then I heard myself saying to him at one point, "don't just save up all your good stuff for people outside your family--you can be nice to us, too!" Touche. I was always such a biatch to my family and super nice to everyone else. A lot of parallel processes in this raising of children.
It stopped raining yesterday and today so Leeor put in several hours of yardwork today. He had a decent fan club inside.
Avi and I also rediscovered the joy of playdough while Lilit napped.
I was staring at him in his hoodie, all independent after his first sleepover but still requesting to use a pull up this afternoon. He did take a probiotic while with his bestie, so I understood.

It looks like both kids are right-handed. Oh well.
Waking up to just Lilit in the house this morning was so lovely . . . she never gets her own time with us at home. I am not used to nursing her uninterrupted. She liked it, too.
Avi has also rediscovered his legos and spends lots of time building "cool things." Lilit likes to talk on the phone to her grandparents.
I really dig the hat Safta made for her. Lilit digs sitting on the counter any chance she can get.

I think the only way I got Avi to wash his hands at home was because we were making cookies.
He prefers to climb on my back. I actually got a decent yoga session in today while he watched a movie and Lilit napped. He approached a few times to climb up while I was in upward dog and then wanted to hold on while I transitioned to downward dog. Since I was wearing my jeans, it was pretty casual and I didn't mind.
Last weekend, Leeor came down with an awful flu and I guiltily went to work Saturday. So Leeor piled the kids in the car, dropped me off in SF and headed down to Monterey, where he promptly collapsed and Saba and Safta took the kid-care baton. My sweet, generous mom scooped me up from the BART station that night, we ate a fabulous meal out and then she drove me down to Monterey the next morning so I could meet up with my 3 and also attend our tax appointment. I hope we can be as generous to our kids as our parents are to us.
The grandparents are always in when it comes to hanging out with Avi and Lilit. We joked that we came home with a week's worth of groceries and meals, but it was basically true. And I am certain that Safta's chicken soup cured Leeor's flu.
The kids adore hanging out with all their grandparents!
Lilit gets such a serious look sometimes . . . here, I think, she wants to make sure Saba isn't changing the stories around.
During the week, I am always the first to leave the house in the mornings . . .I miss a lot of fun!
Two weeks ago, there was a Purim party at Avi's school. Leeor was able to attend but I wasn't. Fortunately, Leeor took great photos and Avi is used to having parents who work outside the home and occasionally miss school events (man, do I still feel guilty or what?). Avi was so pleased with how his teacher painted his face at the Purim party; he shared with me that he'd instructed her to make the mane and tail blue. What better color?
Sweet, sweet Lilit!
Avi is still going strong with his set of brother BFFs from school. . . we had our first official playdate with them at Totland last week and it was a big hit.
He thought long and hard about his costume for the Purim party at school and decided he would wear pieces of both his pirate and police officer costumes. The details were specific, ala Avi.

We have been trying to eat together at the table more often. Avi aptly calls it "family dinner." Pants are optional, as are table manners. Good luck trying to get Lilit to sit down. At least she eats her veggies.
She loves to get geared up to go outside. She says to me, "Go!" insistently, and then pulls me over to the front door but stops along the way for her vest, shoes, and hat, "Mama, help baby. Hat." Her instructions are pretty clear.
Leeor scored a humongous tent at the REI garage sale a couple of weeks ago. We tried setting it up in the yard and soon we had neighbors and kids running through it to test it out. I love, love, living here. And look forward to a family camping trip up the coast this summer. The tent is big enough for us to have grownups on one side and kids on the other, although I imagine we'll all end up in a pile during the night. I'm super excited, and Avi is always asking if we can set up "the big tent" again. Preferably in the living room.

We had a quiet-ish weekend. The ish is because it's never that quiet around here. Except that Avi had his first sleepover, and the silence I felt in his absence was pretty big. It reminded me of when we went away together for the first time last May and by the second night, I wanted to go home because I missed the kids and basically didn't know who I was apart from being their mother and working at UCSF. Thank goodness I'm so much more enlightened now; I mean, I have a private practice, too!
Avi continues to change by leaps and bounds. Our friends reported that he was such a gem during the sleepover and said all the things we want to hear as parents . . . but then I heard myself saying to him at one point, "don't just save up all your good stuff for people outside your family--you can be nice to us, too!" Touche. I was always such a biatch to my family and super nice to everyone else. A lot of parallel processes in this raising of children.
It stopped raining yesterday and today so Leeor put in several hours of yardwork today. He had a decent fan club inside.
Avi and I also rediscovered the joy of playdough while Lilit napped.
He thought long and hard about his costume for the Purim party at school and decided he would wear pieces of both his pirate and police officer costumes. The details were specific, ala Avi.
We had a quiet-ish weekend. The ish is because it's never that quiet around here. Except that Avi had his first sleepover, and the silence I felt in his absence was pretty big. It reminded me of when we went away together for the first time last May and by the second night, I wanted to go home because I missed the kids and basically didn't know who I was apart from being their mother and working at UCSF. Thank goodness I'm so much more enlightened now; I mean, I have a private practice, too!
***
It rained most of the week and I remarked to Leeor that it didn't seem to impact my mood; that I actually liked the rain. There was (another) pinworm outbreak at Avi's school to add to the usual excitement.
We made soup and cookies; our friends made us lobster tail and greyhounds. It was a good weekend. Our house is clean and we actually did all the laundry. As in, there are no more clothes in the basket(s). Leeor said (somewhat manically), "Isn't there any more to do? I kind of like it!" He was very motivating to us this weekend. I was thinking about how settled we feel after a year in this house, how funny it seems to me now that I had such a hard time feeling worthy of owning this little house. We still don't have any furniture in the front room--all the better for kid-romping and yoga-practicing! This growing up isn't just happening for the kids.
2 comments:
I so enjoy your posts. Thanks for all the great pictures of your family. Makes me feel like I'm there too. Love you.
this is awesome. what a great catch-up.
your little family is so special. I will continue to hope we can get these kiddos together someday.
xo
Post a Comment