Our first East bay Halloween was a great success. And over early, for which I am grateful.
Now Leeor is watching The Walking Dead (ewww! I can hear the zombie noises from my cozy blogging perch in our room) while the kids sleep. Avi answered the door all apologetic to our final trick-or-treaters, "I'm so sorry, we have no more candy!"with deep sincerity. He loved handing out candy as much as he loved going door-to-door, though when his pumpkin was half-full he declared he'd gotten "enough." That was one of my favorite moments from tonight, also when he asked if he could eat one of his "treats" and then picked the fruit snacks. He was too tired for books, "How about just two books; actually, I don't want to read any books," which is how we knew how exhausted he really was.
It was a great night. Leeor is teasing me as he looks over my shoulder; now he's humming the them song from Doogie Howser. I feel as dorky as Doogie right now, again uncertain how to wrap up a post. I still have my cat make-up on and need to get up and wash off my whiskers.
I couldn't help but think about San Francisco tonight, that last year we climbed up and down our hilly hood on Halloween with Avi dressed as "the girl Woody," and Lilit the sweetest ladybug. I remember how she slept on my shoulder as we strolled, a mere 5 months old. Tonight she was keeping up with the big kids and Avi was quickly over the block party, preferring instead to trick-or-treat.
There is something more settled about all of us this year. Our family feels complete. I held my friend's new baby this morning and Lilit marveled at his tiny toes and wrists with me. My big girl and my baby; my son who has moments of longing for babyhood. Our kids were so sweet tonight, all my worries about Halloween over-indulgence unfounded. They surpass my expectations again and again.
Our trip to Israel is the next thing for us, so now it's time to be planning this next week. Tomorrow is my last Tuesday of work until after Thankgiving. We are so overdue for a family vacation. I can't wait!
1 comment:
holy cow, how gorgeous is your crew? and you too! i can't believe you are leaving so soon. where will i be without you on the other end of the line? love you so.
Post a Comment