"It's a new year but we remain in the throes of 2010s ending hot issues, namely, lack of sleep in our tiny city abode.
While part of me truly believes more space is the answer, I also remember (not very well, it turns out) having horrendous sleep trouble with Avi when he was between 7 and 8 months old. Man, it's rough, and I'm just not very good at strategy for making it better. It's only 8:52 and Lilit has already woken once since turning in at 7:20 or so. Shit.
I posted something on Facebook this week about sleep training and got more comments than ever before on a status update. Such a hot topic, babies and sleep and what one should or shouldn't do about it!"
***
I wrote that bit on Saturday night; it's Tuesday night and since then I have been experimenting with letting her cry--not in any strategic way, and it totally sucks, but I can tell when she's protesting and when she needs to be picked up. Except last night, when I passed out mid-wail and awakened to Leeor's prodding and stage whisper, "What's the plan?" so I picked her up and eventually brought her into bed with us at 5:30 or so. Avi woke up at 6:30--he likes to pee in the potty first thing in the morning and I want to support that so . . . I am really, really into coffee again.
***
It's a new year and I have a new job to go with it. I'm still a social worker at UCSF but with a very different population. As much as I loved working in the Children's Hospital, I feel so inspired while I run around in OB Clinic, and especially when I meet women and couples in my own clinic. It's cool. And hard. I worked harder on Wednesday and Thursday last week then I ever have, and it was incredibly satisfying. After a half day Friday and all day Saturday, I am humbled. Worn out but not feeling used up the way I did when I first started out in this field nearly 8 years ago.
It's a new year and I have a new job to go with it. I'm still a social worker at UCSF but with a very different population. As much as I loved working in the Children's Hospital, I feel so inspired while I run around in OB Clinic, and especially when I meet women and couples in my own clinic. It's cool. And hard. I worked harder on Wednesday and Thursday last week then I ever have, and it was incredibly satisfying. After a half day Friday and all day Saturday, I am humbled. Worn out but not feeling used up the way I did when I first started out in this field nearly 8 years ago.
I am also aware of not wanting to get too caught up in it all. I remain grateful for the opportunity, for my salary, the wonderful health insurance that cloaks my family in security (especially after all the doctor visits for Lilit over the past few weeks--I just got a notice from our Christmas visit to the ER--$833!!--and my portion is only $50. Really on a tangent now, but it reminds me of when Leeor and I paid less than 50 cents to take him to the ER when we were travelling in Africa).
Speaking of Africa, Leeor and I are dreaming about spending more time there, maybe even taking the kids for an extended stay. Partly it's our escapist antidote to figuring out an education for our children in the Bay Area, but it's also our shared desire to do some good work there in our respective fields. It's fun to play futurama together. It's on the unofficial resolution list for 2011. We don't plan to go there this year, but we'd like to put together a plan that gets us there in a few years . . .
We also want to lay down some roots before we spread our wings. There's a great little house in Berkeley that we just may offer to buy . . .we'll see what happens--and I'm trying to stay slightly removed from it all . . .
***
My theme for 2011 so far is to stay loose and take it as it comes--to not get too attached to any particular outcome, whether at home or at work. Avi turns three next month and everything everyone says about 3 being harder than 2 is definitely true. Lilit is a dream during the day but a bit of a mess at night right now--maybe getting her own room will help, and maybe it's just where we're at right now. It's temporary. I may jinx us all by writing this down, but she's been asleep for 3 hours now so maybe we are turning a corner!
***
I have been struggling to string together a post these days but I just had to go for it tonight. There is so much going on--the mundane in our house juxtaposed with the terrible big stuff in the world around us. I really, really liked what Jon Stewart had to say on the Daily Show last night about the madness in Tucson. For some reason, I was reminded of our forefathers, of the people who rose up against England and wanted to have a new nation. Patriots. I don't really have a point here; I'm riding on Jon Stewart's coattails; he ended his opening monologue by thanking his audience for letting him process his reaction to what happened. I feel the same way, though my "audience" is my family and a few friends. All I can do is process. And maintain hope and faith in humanity.
2 comments:
I hope you watched the Memorial Service tonight. The things the President said gave me hope for us, and for our country. You and your generation must not give up on your commitment to make the world a better place.
I love you.
Auntie K.
happy new year, lovely!
Mendocino for retirement...brilliant.
"Africa for an extended stay/escapist antidote for figuring out Bay Area education/do some good work there" - this has been in the back of my brain for ages but having never been there, I wouldn't know where to begin. But man, immersing ourselves in doing good with our children in that part of the world could be...transformative in the best possible way. Surely there's a program that places (families?) people that want to help?
Hmmm...too much to respond to - let's see if we can get together in person and gab.
Post a Comment