Sunday, November 7, 2010

Rain, rainbows and whole wheat pumpkin muffins (aka cupcakes)





Wasn't I just writing about our incredible weather 2 days ago?

Today we were shut up in the house due to the rain, and it ended up being the best thing for all of us. Leeor and Lilit are in the throes of a cold/flu thing; she is slightly more sprightly than her aba but she has youth on her side . . .

After changing the clocks back last night, Avi woke up at 5:00 this morning. The kid has never taken kindly to transitions and it usually manifests in his sleep, or lack thereof. His sweet chorus of "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" had me out of bed around 5:20 and I convinced him to lie on the couch upstairs with me until he whispered, "I'm hungry, Mommy. Let's have breakfast." and I lugged myself up to forge for something my toddler would eat (he had his usual buffet-style feast of oatmeal, bagel, cold cereal, tea and water, spread between the table and "the bench" in the living room).

"Why are we still being quiet?" he asked innocently, in a whisper of course. Oh, he just kills me with his good nature sometimes. I was milking the darkness, the quiet, the patter of rain outside. But the jig was up so I flipped on some lights and eventually, the end of Up ("you know how to find it on Aba's computer?" he asked anxiously) as we sat on the couch under the quilt my mom made us.

I loved the cozy rainy morning with Avi, even as I looked out the window and enviously imagined throes of city-dwellers snug under their respective down comforters, asleep.

***

My only outing today took me to Trader Joe's in South SF; by the way people were driving on 280 South, you would have thought there was a tsunami approaching. Lilit squawked in the backseat, which is so unlike her. Her nose congested, her gums red with more incoming teeth, she still smiled at me when we stopped. She looked so sweet from her perch in the carseat as we took laps around the store. Her new pink hat, too big for her barely 5 1/2 month self, matching her pink and white blanket my insanely talented aunt made for her. She was all girly charm and got me through the busy store--I was completely focused on her (and my list) and it was actually nice just to be with her.

***

After he woke up from his nap, Avi proclaimed our couch "the family couch" as we 4 sat together, snacking, snarking and blowing noses. How is it possible I am the only one of us not afflicted with this particular bug? Avi seems to be a few days ahead of his sister and father but still scored a drop of infant Tylenol tonight ("I need some of baby's medicine," indeed).

With the time change, both kids were in bed by 6:20. I made a hearty chickpea and dumpling soup--it was delicious. I could so easily go to bed right now, but I insisted Leeor wash the sheets tonight--as I type, I listen to the dryer turn and my eyes glaze a little when I imagine myself settled in their warmth, especially with a few drops of lavender oil.

***

I love rainy days. We are forging ahead in unknown lands--I felt frustrated today that I "couldn't get more accomplished," when actually it was so healing to be present with my kids, to build a fort with Avi, nurse my baby, hold her on my lap while he and I played legos, sip hot cider with Leeor (Avi said, "it's too hot for me!" and enjoyed it cold, "It's like juice!").

We baked pumpkin muffins (even Leeor didn't seem to notice the whole wheat flour) and Avi dubbed them cupcakes--he tried to score an extra one instead of finishing dinner. I introduced Lilit to Safta's homemade hummus and she happily smacked her lips, "A real sabra!" Leeor exclaimed."

***

Being inside our small space all day made me appreciate it and also feel like our days here are numbered. Who knows where we will land next, but as long as we have our family couch, I'm sure we'll be okay.

3 comments:

Saba said...

I love reading your updates. I will have to send you the 23 pictures I have on this camera from Halloween (and 420 so far from Vietnam)

dig this chick said...

I loved the cozy rainy morning with Avi, even as I looked out the window and enviously imagined throes of city-dwellers snug under their respective down comforters, asleep. Love that and think the same thing when I am up at the ass crack with my kids.

Also love solo experiences with Margot. And solo experiences with Ruby. Even if just over cereal or over a shopping cart.

Lastly, I can so relate to wishing I could get more 'accomplished' on hard, slow days. But, really, what is there TO DO. That really needs to be done more than lounging with the people you love to the moon and back? Why do I always have to remind myself of this?

xo

6512 and growing said...

Love that Avi drinks tea.

How do you stand your daughter's cheeks? I think I'd start gnawing on them and give her accidental hickeys.

Happy Hannukah!