

Avi was so excited about Halloween this year--it was with great pleasure that I answered his oft repeated question Sunday morning (Is it Halloween yet?) with an enthusiastic, "Yes!!" followed by a bit of Mommy strategy, "And you get to dress up in your Girl Woody costume after you take a nap today!"
He did take a 3 hour nap that day and then exhausted himself trick or treating up and down our hilly neighborhood. I talked to my mom yesterday morning and she was still processing how much fun she had walking up to each door with Avi--somehow he'd decided Grandma should accompany him while Lilit slept on my shoulder. Saba and Safta were there, too, and together we delighted in Avi's excitement.
As the night grew dark and the Giants scored (cheers erupted in the street and neighbors kindly kept us walkers apprised of the score), I felt giddy with happiness in such a simple, basic way. There is nothing better than enjoying my children and being together as a family--Itay, Jen and Isaac came down to celebrate his first Halloween, too, and there was much revelry and chocolate-eating back at our place.
Leeor and I dressed up according to Avi's direction, "Aba, you will be a cowboy, and Mommy, you will be Miss Piggy:" and as neither of us had costumes planned, we agreed, but also put our own spin on things. Leeor had grown an impressive mustache for his Borat costume he wore to work the previous Friday, and I found a Queen Esther dress at Saba and Safta's that made me think of Pigs in Space . . . so there we were, Avi as the Girl Woody (as he refers to Jessie from Toy Story--mildly sexist but I think he gets a pass at this age), Lilit as the cutest ladybug to hit the streets of Glen Park, Leeor a Brokeback Mountain-style cowboy, and me with my Purim dress doctored up with a homemade snout (that didn't last long into our trick or treating), Miss Piggy in space. It was awesome.
***
Now Saba and Safta are in Vietnam for their annual fall journey to foreign lands, we are in the throes of our weekly routine, Lilit is not holding up her end of the good sleeper bargain, and I'm sitting on the couch after Leeor finally turned in post-election results. There is not much for me to be excited about (except that Meg Whitman will not be our governor, hallelujah!) this election, but I remain happy.
My girlfriend and I are rehearsing a dance piece, I am loving teaching yoga at work, and there are some really good changes on the horizon.
I can't believe it's November already! As tired as I am tonight, I had to get these pictures up before Halloween is another memory on the ever-growing list of sweet moments with my family.
1 comment:
I love this, Melissa. Fabulous photos and such a touching account of the night. Wish we could be there with you all. Sending lots of love! - Gila
Post a Comment