

I am usually into Halloween and all things festive for fall--my October birthday definitely contributes to this. This year, I have been so tickled by Avi's exuberance for Halloween (every day he asks, "Is it Halloween yet?"). He even slept in his costume the other night!
Another surprise for me this fall is my own exuberance for baseball. I am suddenly all caught up in the Giants--as I write this, I can hear the sounds of a city celebrating and I love it. It reminds me of when Obama won the election (remember when we loved him so?) and the same joyous sounds resounded and echoed up to our balcony.
My dad's visit has fueled my Giants fever. Of course I grew up coming into "the city," as we called it, to go to games with my family. But I never cared that much for sports. I sat through games and chatted with girlfriends, drank beer and had the occasional experience where I paid attention (like when Leeor and I went to a Pirates game in Pittsburgh, right before we got pregnant with Avi, and I actually enjoyed the game).
On Friday, I circled around the ballpark while my dad loaded up on Giants merch. It was pretty cute. Avi scored a panda hat that hasn't left his head save a dicey moment at the Discovery Museum today when I accidentally dropped it on the ground--the ground that was wet with rain. Oh, the sobs that erupted! It's a testament to how much his grandpa's presence means to him, I think.
So I have been going all out--we made Halloween cupcakes and I have decorated by following Avi's direction (we need decorations, Mommy!) and jumping onto the baseball bandwagon--it's fun!
It's rainy with my favorite smokey fall smells in the cold, fresh air outside. My kids are fast asleep and both the dishwasher and dryer are going. My dad leaves tomorrow to go visit my brother and his family. Leeor comes home from his trip to DC (The other day, Avi loaded up a few items and announced he was leaving for "Washington, D."). The Giants play the first game of the World Series here on Wednesday and I can't wait to see the lights blaze in the ballpark. It's funny, isn't it, these things that surprise us about ourselves, like an impromptu love for baseball?
***
Speaking of fall, a little postscript about turning 35 . . .
My favorite moment was Avi singing the happy birthday song to me. Saba, Safta, my mom, Leeor and my kids surrounded me at our table and sang--Avi sang every word--it's hard to describe how I felt but the photo my mom took seems to capture it pretty well.
You know you're 35 when you ask for an apron as a birthday gift--my mom made two and they are beautiful. I loved wearing one when we made cupcakes the other day.
Leeor and I finished the day with a long, lovely dinner with our dearest friends. I couldn't have asked for a better celebration.
Lilit surprised us all by producing two little teeth the day before my birthday; I'd been waiting but she's so sweet about her teething that it still shocked me a bit. I love her so much it makes me ache sometimes. Today we nursed, she gobbled down some rice cereal, and she drank a little formula. She continues to be such a mellow baby that Leeor and I joke that we better not have any more because she is practically too good to be true and no way could we get this lucky again!
Watching Avi and Lilit together could be a full-time occupation for me. They love each other so much.
Lastly, Avi has a new outfit du jour. When my mom was here last weekend, we went shopping. While Avi has been wearing the same shorts for over a month, I knew the weather was changing and he'd need some long pants. My hope was that he'd pick something weather-appropriate and it wouldn't become a thing. Careful what you wish for--he initially glommed onto this god-awful shirt with Sponge Bob on it (he has never seen an episode of the show and who knows what he was drawn to) but then decided upon a Cars shirt that I still find unappealing but whatever. He also chose a pair of pants that he calls his "soft pants;" they are black Nike sweatpants with a white stripe down the side. He wore that ensemble every day this week and I dutifully washed it every night. At least he is warm and comfortable.
***
The game has been over for almost two hours and the sounds of celebration continue outside. It's so fun. Here's to surprises and to my favorite season--I can't wait to celebrate Halloween next weekend with our family and friends. Go Giants!!
1 comment:
love those pics! while lilit definitely seems to have more of her daddy in her, she also seems to have a bit of YOUR daddy in her as well! love it! so bummed i can't be there to enjoy baseball mania with you (JK!!!) love you so.
Post a Comment