Monday, February 8, 2010

Two!











Two years ago tonight, I was snuggling my newborn Avi, whom I immediately called my little bear. He just seemed like a little bear to me; he came out with lots of hair and the sweetest face. Tonight, as I gave him a bath, I asked him if he wanted to hear the story of his birth. He said yes. So I told him about how Aba drove me to the hospital (but left out the drama of crowning on the dining room floor before we loaded ourselves into the car for an agonizing ride filled with my doula's instructions: Don't push!) and he interjected, "I go to the hospital, too!" I assured him he went with us, still safe in my belly. He listened as I explained how everything happened so fast once we arrived; I really only pushed once, then coughed and out flew my Avi. He smiled when I told him how they put him on my chest, how he nursed right away, how Aba helped give him his first bath.


We had such a lovely party for him yesterday and he loved every moment. He loved his birthday and I loved watching him love it. Our family and a few friends joined us for a trip to our local fire station. The afternoon was amazingly warm and sunny, and I recalled that the weekend Avi was born was equally warm and sunny. The firefighters were so kind to the kids; they had the birthday boy take the first turn to "drive" the truck, spray the hose, and then pronounced him honorary fire chief and gave him his own hat (which he donned again tonight and informed me he was fire chief again--so cute in his pajamas!). He loved the attention. At one point he exclaimed jubilantly, "It's just for me!"


He even asked to blow out his candle a second time; he was so into the festivities and loved when everyone sang, as he said, "Happy Birthday to Avi." He loved his presents, loved the company, loved the fire station, loved his cupcakes, loved his birthday. Being his parents just seems to get better and better each year.



It was hard to go to work this morning; Avi was so happy to celebrate with M and GG, but I missed him terribly. Leeor did, too. I was lucky enough to come home a little early and greet him as he woke from his nap. We decided to have a special Mommy and Avi birthday date--a visit to the toy store to pick out a new train for the special train table Saba and Safta got for him. I loaded him into the stroller and glanced at the gathering rain clouds. In two years of being Avi's parent I have learned a few things; even though I had neither umbrella nor raincoat for myself, I had the stroller cover that kept Avi warm and dry. And once it really started coming down, we ducked into a little market (that I'd never noticed before!) and I bought at $5 umbrella (to add to my collection; this is why I feel fine about giving them away when the occasion calls for it). I actually liked walking in the rain. But the best was Avi in the toy store, picking his train. I thought he'd want Thomas or Percy but no, he chose two that go together, Annie and Clarabelle. It was so funny to me. I love how specific he is about the things he wants. Then we tried to wait out the rain by slipping into a donut shop, where he had a chocolate donut with sprinkles and we shared a carton of milk that we drank with a straw. There was something about the simplicity of the moment; sitting together, watching the cars and Muni trains go by at the busy corner of Church and 24th Streets, that felt so touching to me. He's growing up. He's changing all the time. And it makes me indescribably happy to remember the moment he was born and all the wonderful moments we've shared since then.

So I ordered Chinese takeout for the 3 of us tonight to celebrate, because Avi loves spicy food and rice and Leeor lives for Chinese food. And I live for these beautiful moments with my family, watching Leeor and Avi eat from Leeor's plate down in Avi's bedroom while the baby girl in my belly gently poked and prodded as if she, too, wanted to join us. We can't wait until she does. For now, Happy Birthday to Avi, who reminded me again today that he is now a big boy.

4 comments:

Janine Evans said...

crowning on the dining room floor, one push, one cough?! DANG, woman! you must have superhuman powers.

That over-the-shoulder smiling shot of Avi is... perfection.
He's so gorgeous. I can only imagine what a beauty your daughter will be.

Happy 2nd birthday to your big boy!

dig this chick said...

I couldn't share my birthday with a more adorable human!

And, for real, I read the one push cough sentence like four times because I couldn't believe it. Wow. Amazing.

Happy Birthday Avi! Happy Birth Day to you mama.

Gillian said...

so loved being with you this weekend! love that little bear too! makes me so excited about boys!!!

Unknown said...

wish we could of been there to help celebrate his birthday!