Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Two babies

Avi at the Academy of Sciences today . . .  eating the lunch I packed for him this morning.  Leeor took the photo and I just love it.

Now I am sitting on an ice pack, reminded of the only other time I sat on one . . . right after I gave birth to Avi.  Tonight I sit on one after taking a little spill down our stairs.  Damn slippery wooden floors, my socked feet and lack of grace in pregnancy.  The funny thing is, I took a similar fall while pregnant with Avi.  This time he was looking on from a few steps above, and I had a frozen moment to myself, my body wracked with pain, wanting to shout some expletive and start crying, but one look at my boy's worried face made me take a deep breath.  "You banged yourself, Mommy?" He asked solicitously.  "I did, honey; I fell down, but I'm okay."  We were on our way downstairs to get him into the tub.  Leeor is out with a friend so I was on my own for bed time duty.  I would be lying if I said it was easy to plunge ahead with it.  All I cared about was making sure Avi wasn't too worried or upset.  Maybe that is neurotic, but it's the truth.  So we joked and splashed and laughed and I asked him if it was scary when Mommy fell down.  He said it was.  I didn't push it but reminded him that I was okay and hoped I was.  I felt like vomiting.  Also like I'd wet my pants.  

I got Avi into bed, mostly uneventfully save a few moments of him sadly asking for his beloved ba-ba.  I haven't even blogged about that topic; we said bye-bye to ba-ba last week and it's been emotional and hard.  But not too hard.  And definitely the right decision.  So tonight he asked for songs from Mary Poppins and I obliged before closing his door and limping up the stairs.  Then I sat on my ice pack and cried my head off, finally allowing myself to feel and express all the shock and pain I felt when I fell.  


And I realized how much I love this baby that I don't know, even though I haven't felt all that connected to her in the rush of life-with-toddler-work-husband-friends and everything.  I didn't want to worry Leeor (he will be annoyed with me that I didn't call him) so I called the triage after-hours number.  When I was told to wait for a call back I freaked out.  What if something was wrong? Four minutes crept by while I shed more tears and waited.  A nurse called me and I told her what happened.  It was oddly comforting to answer her questions; they were so by-the-book and as she asked, I realized we were probably okay.  After she gave me some instructions and we hung up, I finally relaxed.  And this little girl in my belly started moving around like crazy, which was very reassuring.  I've never experienced her moving like that--rippling across my belly, poking and prodding parts of herself out for me to see.  Oh, the relief.  


Earlier tonight I again got very excited to have two children.  To watch Avi with his little sister.  I can't wait.  And then, after I fell, contained all my fear and pain, then let it out, I couldn't even bear the thought of something happening to this little one I don't yet know.  I had a crazy dream about her birth the other night.  It wasn't exactly a birth; I looked down and saw her face looking up at me with huge blue eyes telling me she was ready to come out, so I reached in my translucent belly and pulled her to me, held her close and then asked for someone to cut the umbilical cord.  Weird, right?  I chalked it up to anxiety about childbirth, but maybe there's more to it.  Something about making room to love another little one just as much as I love Avi.  I never knew that could be possible but I know with such conviction that it just is.  That I have enough to give to my two babies and we will all be okay.  A little sore sometimes, but I can live with that. 

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

oh my goodness, so scary. so glad you're okay!
you have got some serious Mama Power, my friend.
awesome. Your girl is already so lucky to have you!