Saturday, January 23, 2010

Loving this kid

We are pretty in love with Avi right now.  Not that we ever fall out of love with him; it's just that we feel especially close and connected at the moment.  Maybe because we spent a few vacation days together up in Washington, and it's always good to get away together.  Maybe because these days as a family of three feel so precious. 


Yesterday we went to a preschool tour and Avi loved every moment.  He dove right in with the other kids, painting, playing and exploring.  Of course he also loved to wash his hands at the sinks that are just his size.  Later in the day, he asked if we could "go back to school."

While it's a bit anxiety-producing to figure out how it's all going to work (childcare for the new baby and Avi in some kind of preschool when I go back to work in the fall--how much is it going to cost?), I just know it will all work out.  


Avi pulled out this Obama tshirt this morning and asked if he could wear it.  We said sure, as long as he put long sleeves underneath.  I remember when we bought it for him last year when we took him to the Inaugeration.  It was the smallest shirt we could find for him and still much too big.  Today is the first time he's actually worn it.  And even though things seem dismal right now when it comes to Obama and the state of the country, much less the world, I still feel hopeful.  I have seen what people are capable of.  I believe in us.  


As we get closer and closer to Avi's birthday, he keeps uttering the sweetest things.  He suggests we sing "Happy birthday to Avi," followed by "Happy birthday to Mommy," and of course, finished off with, "Happy birthday to Aba;" he applauds enthusiastically at the end of each version. My current favorite Avi quotes these days include him saying that people or things are "so cute!", answering Leeor's question of, "Avi, who is your best friend?", with an exuberant, "Mommy!" and asking, when he sees a photo of Leeor and me, "Where is Avi in the stroller?" because he just knows that we belong together.  This morning Leeor drove down to Monterey to attend a birthday party while Avi and I stayed behind.  Avi keeps asking, "Where is Aba?" and I keep telling him but he has more questions, like, "You're going with Aba, Mommy?" again, I think because he knows we go together.  Like the day we dropped Leeor off for a meeting in Seattle and Avi turned to me and asked, "You're going to work, too, Mommy?" I could go on and on.  This is what I mean when I say we are really in love with him right now.  He keeps evolving into this cool little person and it's such an honor to be his mama.

1 comment:

Saba said...

Hope is always great. We hope the employment picture will improve for everyone. We hope we alll be friendly in the street and on the road.
Love the picture.
Saba