Monday, January 21, 2008

Waiting


We are waiting for our son to be born. There are a couple of different due dates. January 25th is based off of my menstrual cycle, and February 4th is based off of an early ultrasound. We'll see . . . I feel ready and also as if I could hang out in this "no man's land" of waiting for awhile. I like not working, making my own schedule, going to yoga during the day, taking care of our home and catching up with friends on the phone. When I was still working I felt so exhausted at the end of each day that I felt very solitary and inwardly focused each evening; now I feel like I have more time for myself and my relationships. I am acutely aware of how precious this time is and I don't want to take it for granted.

I also have really enjoyed my pregnancy. It sounds strange, but I will miss being pregnant. I'll never again have a first pregnancy. It's been such an easy pregnancy, physically, for which I am very greatful. Probably the biggest challenges along the way have been emotional. I sometimes felt invaded and intruded upon, which is not easy to admit. Other times I have felt so full and fascinated by this little life inside of me that I could just sit around and watch my belly ripple as he moved around.

This pregnancy has been such a full journey; we found out we were pregnant as we were both going through big changes at work (Leeor was unemployed for a little while during the first trimester while I began a new job in the city and had to keep my pregnancy under wraps, which was really hard!), and then we moved during the second trimester. Leeor started a new job which had him commuting to Palo Alto, which was a big change after 3 years of working in the city while I drove to the East Bay every day. Along the way we celebrated our first wedding anniversary. I am amazed at all the changes we've experienced throughout this pregnancy and also realize that the biggest change will occur after our little one is born!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

hooray melissy for starting a blog! i can't wait to hear about this little ones adventures in the big, bad world!

i love you,
gillie