Friday, March 6, 2015

Purim Sameach

 The kids have been counting down the days until Purim. Well, Avi has been counting down the days. His Harry Potter costume, borrowed from our sweet neighbors, has been at the ready for weeks. While Lilit had planned to revive her Ladybug Girl costume that she wore on Halloween, she had second thoughts this morning.
 Long story short, she had taken to heart what one of her teachers said, which was, "If you forget to wear your costume, just come in your pajamas, and that will be your costume." She really felt she needed to incorporate her pajamas. Thus, Kitty Cat Girl with Wings was born.
 Yossi was just glad to be included and kindly permitted me to stuff him into the duck costume. He had his first tumble in a bounce house at the kids' school and loved it.
 There's really nothing better than this duck tush. And those curls.
 The parents did an amazing job setting up the Purim carnival. Rather than filled with cheap plastic junk, the prize tables were beautifully curated with handmade items that the kids loved.
 I was talking to the kids on the way to school about how I didn't celebrate Purim when I was growing up, and Avi replied patiently, "Yeah, but Mama, you celebrated Halloween, and it's basically the same thing. You dress up in a costume and get lots of treats."
 In fact, the kids traded treats, or Misloach Manot, with their classmates at school this week. And Savta came through with chocolate marshmallow Hamantashen when she and Saba arrived today for the festivities.
 I love that the parents work so hard to provide such thoughtful gifts for the kids.
  Avi finished book 2 in the Harry Potter series tonight-- and then he dove straight into book 3, about which he had already had a dream. I told him he didn't need to rush through them, but he assured me he was reading at "a fast pace while still understanding everything," and that he was just  so excited.
 The throng of costumed kids made my heart explode a few times. I was so proud of Lilit for creating her own costume, all by herself.
 She was specific about her red whiskers and nose, too.
 The story of Purim celebrates brave Queen Esther, who essentially saved the Jewish people from death at the hands of the evil Haman. I wish that my girl will be just as brave throughout her life.  She is off to a pretty fierce start.
"Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created," Esther, 4:14.

No comments: